Saturday, June 16, 2012

June 16th 2012: Being a Tourist in Boston


Today, I decided to be a tourist in Boston by doing some of the tours originating from the Boston Common.
The first tour I went on was the Freedom Trail one from the Boston Town Crier, starting at 9.30a.m. in the morning. While waiting in front of the Boston Common Visitor Center for the tour to start, I decided to take a few pictures of the statues here.








Our tour guide professed himself to be the patriot James Otis, and started off the tour by heading up to the Massachusetts State House.
"James Otis"
He talked about the coming of the Puritans and how they restricted religious freedom, exiling anyone else who did not believe in the faith, and even hanging those that tried to come back, including Mary Dyer, whose statue sits on the side of the State House
Mary Dyer
Massachusetts State House





The church where they practiced their faith was the present Park Street Congregational Church, which we passed by next.
Park Street Congregational Church
Next, we went to the Granary Burying Ground, where he showed us the resting places of many of the patriots during the American Revolution, including that of our "tour guide" himself. Pictures follow.
Franklin Family Obelisk
John Hancock





Robert Treat Paine

James Otis
Paul Revere




Samuel Adams
From here, we headed to King's Chapel, the first Anglican church in New England and the Old City Hall, where on the floor is a spot commemorating the first public school in America was sited.
King's Chapel

Old City Hall
Benjamin Franklin
Josiah Quincy

Site of First Public School in America,
Boston Latin School
Democratic Donkey

Next, we headed to the Old South Meeting House, where the Boston Tea Party meetings took place, the result of which was the dumping of the tea sitting in the Boston Harbor in defiance of paying taxes for it.

Next, we headed to the Old State House, where the Declaration of Independence was read from, and the site of the Boston Massacre is also here, which foreshadowed the coming of the Revolutionary War a few years later.
Old State House



Boston Massacre Site
Our tour finally ended at Faneuil Hall, the grasshopper atop of which was the subject of a quiz question to distinguish between patriots and British spies during the Revolutionary War. Here he told us that we would have to pay more for an extended tour to the end of the Freedom Trail in Charlestown, so I felt a little shortchanged to say the least, since I had expected to be able to walk the entire trail. Oh well, thankfully it was a Livingsocial deal I used.
Samuel Adams
Mayor Kevin White
Faneuil Hall

Grasshopper atop Faneuil Hall
I decided to have lunch at Quincy Market nearby, taking pictures of the performers in front and other monuments before heading to Cheers for lunch.
Quincy Market






Performers in Front of Quincy Market




Giant Macaroni
This place is somewhat similar to the original bar on Beacon Street that was the inspiration of the popular TV series by the same name.

Cheers at Faneuil Hall




I decided to try the Boston Baked Beans and The Giant Norm Burger. The baked beans came in a mug, and they were really delicious. The burger was extremely large, and was pretty good too.
Boston Baked Beans

Giant Norm Burger













With that, I walked back to the Boston Common where my next tour would begin. On the way back, I took some pictures of the buildings around me.
Giant Kettle outside Starbucks near City Hall
City Hall

Sculpture outside 60 State Street
Marriott's Custom House

Cathedral Church of St. Paul
John Adams Courthouse


75 State Street
Exchange Place




Boston Public Schools
Arlington Street Church














I still had some time, so I decided to visit the Boston Public Garden, taking pictures of the flowers and monuments there.
Thomas Cass
Edward Everett Hale

Swan Boats
Wendell Phillips




Ether Monument
Fountain in front of George Washington








Charles Sumner
Tadeusz Kosciuszko


Duck and Duckling Statues
With that, it was time for my next tour of Beacon Hill by Boston by Foot Guided Tours, which was a meetup event. After meeting with the tour guide at the steps of the Massachusetts State House, we started our tour.


After explaining the Federal Style Architecture that we would be seeing on our tour to us, and how the Massachusetts State House was an excellent example of that,we walked around to the back of the State House where the Ashburton Park is, and told us why Beacon Hill was named as such, for a warning beacon that used to be on top of the hill, and that the State House was a mishmash of different colors, being red in front, yellow behind, white on the side, and golden on top.


Ashburton Park behind the Massachusetts State House









With that we went into the residential areas, where she explained the various real estate players involved in the development of the area, and pointing out to us unique things about the architecture, including the windowsill planter boxes, the beautiful side gardens, street gas lamps that were perpetually on 24 hours, and Acorn Street the last cobblestone road in Massachusetts.
Window Planter Boxes

Gas Lamps
Cobblestone Covered Acorn Street



Beautiful gardens
After the tour, which was pretty boring to me actually overall because it was just about Federal architecture, the group first headed to the original Cheers Bar on Beacon Street, but as it was crowded, we decided to head to Scholars on School Street instead for drinks and conversation. Having been there once, I decided to try out a dessert, the School Street Sundae, which was delicious with ice cream and rice krispie squares among other things.
Original Cheers Bar
School Street Sundae


I had to leave early for my last tour of the day, done by Boston Civil War Tours, starting at the Boston Common Visitor Center. We visited places like the Robert Gould Shaw Memorial, which commemorates the first black regiment in America, the Tremont Temple Baptist Church, the first integrated church in America, and the Irish Famine Memorial in front of the Old South Meeting House, which is in honor of the Irish Immigrants who were outcasts in society then but still fought for the integrity of the American Union.
Tremont Temple Baptist Church
Robert Gould Shaw Memorial














Irish Famine Memorial
Once again, I felt that the tour was actually pretty similar to the Freedom Trail tour in terms of route, so to be honest, I was not satisfied at all with my day of touring. At this point, I decided to leave and head towards Waltham where I would use one of my Livingsocial deals for dinner, but as the day was still young, I decided to do some sightseeing in Brookline first. I headed first to Hall's Pond Sanctuary, located at the junction of Amory Street and Freeman Street. After parking at the Amory Park parking lot, the path I took here is highlighted below in pink.
I first headed to the gazebo in the Amory Woods area.

I then took a stroll around the pond on a wooden boardwalk, where there was a Great Blue Heron looking for food in the pond
Great Blue Heron


From the pond, I headed to the Central Garden, where I took some pictures of the flowers there.
The Central Garden



With that, I headed back to my car, and visited several other places in Brookline before heading to Waltham for dinner.

United Parish in Brookline
Coolidge Corner Theater

Young Israel of Brookline

Kehillath Israel
Brookline Senior Center





Old St. Mark's Methodist Church,
90 Park Street
Finally, it was time for dinner at Baan Thai in Waltham, where I had a $30 Livingsocial deal. This place actually reminds me of Tom Can Cook, which is also in the same town.
I decided to go with a Tom Kha Gai soup, the Beef Rendang, which I have not seen before at a Thai restaurant, and the Villager's Pad Thai, which was also another unique dish.
Tom Kha Gai Soup
Beef Rendang
Villager's Pad Thai



All three dishes were actually pretty good, although I have to say that the rendang cannot compare to ones I have back home in Singapore. With that, I was done with my day of being a tourist in Boston.


No comments:

Post a Comment