Friday, June 29, 2012

June 29th 2012: Cupcakes in Worcester and Dinner in Newton

Today during lunch, I decided to use one of my Livingsocial deals to get a dozen cupcakes from Back in the Day Pastry Shoppe at 111 Cambridge Street in Worcester. This place is a small establishment in a pretty shady area of town. The man behind the counter was pretty nice though, giving me one of every muffin and cupcake he had available to fulfill the dozen I had free with my Livingsocial deal, even including a fudge brownie. Some cupcake flavors including German chocolate, key lime and black forest, while muffins included bran and blueberry.
A dozen Cupcakes/Muffins

I decided to bring them back to the office to share with my colleagues, but before that, I visited a few places I missed out on in Worcester, including Institute Park which was under construction the last time I visited it.

First Baptist Church
Lake Quinsigamond at Lake Park,
287 Lake Avenue






Institute Park

Our Lady of Czestochowa

After work, I had to pick up my friend from South Station in Boston, so I decided to have dinner with my friend to while away the time, choosing to use my Livingsocial deal at 51 Lincoln in Newton. As with all high class restaurants which use their addresses as their names (for lack of creativity in names), the place was well decorated, especially the private room we were shown into, and the food was exceptional as well.

The starters of cornbread, onion foccaccia and French baguette went well with the dips of flavored butter and tomato chilli jam, which my friend thought was so good that she even bought a pint of it to bring home.
Cornbread, Onion Foccacia
with Tomato Chilli Jam and Flavored Butter
For food, we got the Pan Seared Watermelon Steak and Asian Style Lamb and Duck Terrine appetizers, and the Butter Caramelized Local Diver Scallops for the entree.
Asian Style Lamb and Duck Terrine
Pan Seared Watermelon Steak




Butter Caramelized Local Diver Scallops
The watermelon steak came with baba ghanoush, french feta, olive oil and a hand rolled sesame cracker, and wass textured and tasted just like a regular steak, which was simply awesome. The Terrine tasted a little weird, but went well after the smashed horseradish was added. The scallops was a small serving, but exquisite as well, with a sauce of mango emulsion and potato puree, with scarlet frisee and pistachio salad on the side.


For dessert, my friend decided to get the tamarind sorbet. I have to say it was a little sour, but a good transition of flavor from sour to sweet, which was overall quite a nice feeling.

After dinner, I dropped my friend off at home, and still having time to kill, I decided to head down to the Seaport Hotel and World Trade Center to try to catch glimpses of the tall ships arriving to participate in the Harborfest 2012, but apparently they would only arrive tomorrow, but I still had a nice walk around the World Trade Center, and managed to take a picture of a lighted tall ship across from the place.
World Trade Center at night
Lighted tall ship










With that, I headed to South Station to wait for my friend, and when he arrived we head back home in preparation for skydiving tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment