Sunday, June 10, 2012

June 10th 2012: A Day of Mini-golf, Bumper Boats, Food Trucks and Dragonboat Races

Today, I had 3 events to go to, so I started out early, heading first to Mason's Bowling Center in Leominster, where there is an airplane installed in a mini-golf area.
Airplane at Mason's Bowling Center,
640 North Main Street
Next, I headed to my first event, at Kimball Farm in Westford. I was really hungry by now, so I decided to order a Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche while waiting for the others to come.
The quiche was actually pretty good, and with good timing, the others came after I was done eating. When the place opened, we decided to get the $17.00 package of Waterfall Run Mini-golf and Bumper Boats. After getting different colored balls, we started our game on the beautiful course.
Multi-colored golf balls
Pictures of the golf course follow.









Overall, my performance at mini-golf wasn't too bad, having ups and downs like everyone else, on a beautiful golf course, it was definitely worth it. Next up, the bumper boats. The water area was not that big, but thankfully we were only 3 people, so we had a blast learning how to control the circular "boat", and bumping into each other, trying to get water splashed onto each other. Oh, what fun to be a kid again.

After the bumper boats, it was time for my next event, the Food Truck Festival in Boston. Deciding not to jostle with the crowd at UMass Boston, I decided to park at the Boston College High School nearby instead.

After a short walk, I reached the UMass Boston portion of the Boston Harborwalk where the Arts on the Point is also located, on the shores of the Savin Hill Cove, which was at low tide at this point.
The Harborwalk

Savin Hill Cove at low tide
Arts on the Point Sculpture


The Rainbow Swash Gas Tank
I found the food truck area on the lawn in front of the Campus Center. There were already tons of people lining up at each of the 43 trucks here today, so I immediately went to the back of the line after getting my ticket book in exchange for my Travelzoo coupon.
The circle of food trucks
The long lines awaiting






Being the systematic person I am, I lined up at truck #1, which was for fried clams from Woodman's of Essex, I had to wait an extremely long time before I got my food in a cone cup, so I decided that I was done with long lines for a bit, heading to the short line at truck #3 for Italian Ice.

Fried Clams
Strawberry Italian Ice



It was here that I met a friend by chance, and realized that there were actually much more people that I knew that were here as well. We started a tag team to get food for each other, with me lining up at truck #24 for Bite into Maine, famous for their lobster rolls, but by the time I reached the end, they ran out, and all they had were Whoopie Pies and Bluberry corn salad, and I got a few Whoopie Pies for my friends instead.
After a good time at the festival with my friends, it was time to head off to my next event, the Dragon Boat Festival held on the Charles River straddling Cambridge and Boston. Apparently after all the waiting, it had become high tide in Savin Hill Cove, so I took a few more pictures here while walking back.










After parking at Harvard Square, I walked to the John W. Weeks Bridge area where the Dragon Boat Festival was being held.
There were a lot of people here, but I went across the bridge to meet up with my friends on the Boston side. After meeting with my friends for a bit, I decided that the best place to be was on the bridge, so I headed back to take pictures of the races and the cultural performances on the Cambridge side as well. Here are a few views of the festival








From here, I decided to head back to my car to ensure that it had not been towed away, taking pictures of interesting buildings along the way.
Dunster House
St. Paul Parish


On the way back, I actually bumped into another friend of mine who had been to the Dragon Boat Festival already, and I had not seen her for a while, so she decided to walk with me back to my car as she did not have much else to do anyway other than enjoying the fine weather today.

My car was not towed away, thankfully, and as the day was still young, I decided to resume sightseeing for the day, with the ultimate goal of using my Livingsocial deal at Kyoto Japanese and Chinese Cuisine in Tewksbury.

I started off my northward journey in Somerville, visiting several churches and Somerville City Hall.
Mission Church of Our Lord Jesus Christ
Masonic Hall, 125 Highland Avenue

War Memorials in front of City Hall
City Hall


Central Hill Park
Memorial in front of Somerville Public Library



Elizabeth Peabody House
St. Ann's Church

Museum of Modern Renaissance
First Church Somerville


Holy Bible Baptist Church
Somerville Community Baptist Church

Somerville Library West Branch
Sion Seventh Day Adventist Church


Continuing my trek north, I headed into Medford next. Among other places I visited, Wright's Pond on Elm Street near Sturges Street was pretty nice, where people were suntanning on the beach there.
Medford City Hall

Mystic Congregational Church Bell,
Royall Park
War Memorial in front of City Hall

First Baptist Church


Wright's Pond


Heading into Stoneham next, I only visited a few places before moving on to Woburn.
Colonial Park School
Stoneham Public Library


Seventh Day Adventist Church

In Woburn, the town center area was a beautiful area in terms of architecture, and pictures of the various places I visited here follow.
Annunciation of the Virgin Mary Greek Orthodox Church
Woburn City Hall

Anchor Baptist Church
First Congregational Church






St. Charles Borromeo Church
First Baptist Church in Woburn


Satsang Center
Count Rumford Statue in front of Library


Woburn Public Library
St. John's Baptist Church




Town Common,
Main Street and Common Street




Ventilator Cowl of USS Maine
World War II Memorial



Gas Station, 479 Main Street
United Methodist Church
Wyman School






In order to get to Tewksbury before Kyoto Restaurant closed, I had to call it a day at this point. The restaurant is pretty typical for a Chinese style restaurant in America, including a bar area.
With my Livingsocial deal for $30, I got the Naruto appetizer, which is an interesting concept of sushi wrapped in cucumber instead of seaweed or soy paper.
Naruto

I also got the Under Control Maki, consisting of spicy king crab and scallop on the inside and tuna, salmon and multicolored tobiko on top. It came with a cute little toadstool with wasabi for a stalk and a cucumber end for a head, and was pretty good I guess.
Under Control Maki
The Combination Udon I got, which had shrimp, beef, chicken and scallops, was pretty disappointing though, however.
Combination Udon
Overall, I felt that this restaurant was pretty average. Thankfully, I had a deal for this place.

With that, a thoroughly eventful day and a great weekend came to an end. Boy am I exhausted now.








No comments:

Post a Comment