Monday, April 17, 2017

April 17th 2017: Getting Lost in Warwick

I started out this Patriot's Day in the town of Hubbardston, Checking out the Mason Brook Falls at 42 Healdville Road, which was going strong today.

Next, it was on to the town of Petersham
Brooks Woodland Preserve

for a hike at the North Common Meadow, where the path I took is shown below in pink.

Nothing much here though,

And the pond was overflowing its banks this time of year.

From here, passing through Orange,
540 South Main Street

it was on to the town of Warwick,
Wheeler Pond, 997 Orange Road

To look for the Hockanum Hill Overlook Trail on Hockanum Road. I had some trouble finding the trailhead,  so I asked a local resident for some help,  and he was able to point me in the right direction. The problem was, there are apparently many trails in this area,  and I failed to heed his words that there would be a sign at the right place,  choosing to head into the first trail I saw, walking down the wrong way,  going on and on without finding the supposed view until I reached the road way on the other side,  only to realize I had not been on the right trail. I walked the road all the way back to my car.  On further searching,  I finally found the right place with the sign and a small parking area. The actual trail itself was short and steep heading uphill, to a view that was just alright,  being mostly covered by the treetops.

From here, I went to check out Gales Pond at the southern end of Gale Road,

Then went on to my next hike to find the Kidder Falls. Once again, with few clues about where the trailhead is, I went down the Metacomet Monadnock Trail from Old Winchester Road, only to realize I was only moving further away from where the falls were supposed to be. Apparently they have rerouted the   trail. Retracing my steps, I checked my notes carefully, and finally found the right Road to go down, a dirt Road closer to the junction with Robbins Road and Old Winchester Road, where I could immediately hear the sound of the falls roaring on Kidder Brook. In my hurry to get to the falls, I took the trails that seemed to Lead me closer to the falls,  but close to the end,  I found I had to bushwhack a little too get to the falls. It was worth the effort though.

I then went further down the old Metacomet Monadnock Trail,  not being able to find the supposed viewpoint North of the falls. At this point I decided to call it a day for hiking,  embarking on the long drive home,  stopping by Captain Bob's Drive-In, a Hot Dog place in Princeton which is apparently also the home of the owner, where I got a Hot Dog.

Nothing special though.

I then headed back into Worcester to get some takeout from Choose and Mix, which we were just at last week.

This time, I got the Galbi (Korean barbecue ribs) and Sweet Chicken Wings.

The ribs were really delicious,  although the wings were soggy after the trip home.

Oh well, after getting lost twice in Warwick today, that's Nothing.





No comments:

Post a Comment