Friday, March 27, 2015

March 27th 2015: More Meals in the Allston Area of Boston

After work today, I was hosting a meetup dinner at Totto Ramen at 169 Brighton Avenue in the Allston area of Boston. As they do not take reservations, I decided to go early to reserve a spot, but as I was way too early, I decided to check out the new Korean place in the area at 166 Harvard Avenue, Bibim.

This place has a pretty casual cafe feel to it, with a pretty interesting menu.

As I had a lot to eat in a short while, I decided to just get Appetizers, getting the Fried Rice Cakes (4 Skewers Of Crunchy Chili Rice Cakes)

And the Soondae (Korean Pork Sausages filled with Sweet potato noodles),

Along with the Patbingsoo (Korean shaved ice dessert Topped with sweet red bean paste, multigrain powder, mochi, milk) for dessert.

I have to say the appetizers were both a little disappointing, both being a little on the bland side. Thankfully, the dessert was still pretty good. I probably should have ordered other stuff instead, but considering that there are better Korean places nearby, this place will not be at the top of my list.

At the Ramen place, which was pretty small and already full of people, they would not seat my party until everyone had arrived, so when the time came, I decided to just seat half of us first whole waiting for the rest to come. It actually worked out pretty nicely.

My group got several bowls of Paitan Ramen (straight Noodles cooked al dente style in a savory, chicken Bone infused stock topped with broiled Pork Belly, Scallion, white onions and a sheet of nori), with a side of Original Rayu, Spicy Sesame Oil to spice things up as necessary,

and a Mega Ramen (Topped with variety of char siu pork, garlic, onion, bean sprouts and scallions),
while I got the Vegetable Ramen (konbu seaweed and shitake mushroom based soup, topped with seasoned avocado, seasonal vegetables,peppery yuzu paste, sesame oil, salted kelp and lime).

My ramen wasn't too bad, but it wasn't impressive either. The menu was a little limited, and the seating policy here isn't very appealing to me either. Overall, I've had better.

After dinner, we originally intended to go to Sweet Kingdom, but because it was full of people, we decided to go to PC Cafe across the road at 154 Harvard Avenue instead. I have to say, this place has changed a lot, though for the worse, since the last time I was here. The chairs were all tattered and torn, while there were significantly few games left here to play. The service was terrible as well, and we had to wait quite a while for our desserts to come, as there was only one person making it.

My Kiwi Iced Boba Tea
wasn't too bad, but my friends only had half a cup of drink for their Green Tea Lattes.

This is definitely the first time I have downgraded a place from recommend. Definitely not coming back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment