Sunday, March 29, 2015

March 29th 2015: Watching the Big Apple Circus in Boston

I started out this morning with my first hike in a long while at the Reading Town Forest in Reading. The path I took here to try to get views of the Ipswich River is shown below in pink.
There were a few decent views of the river, which was still partly frozen today. Not worth the effort though, in my opinion. Pictures follow.
Unfortunately, most of the paths were still covered in snow, making me decide not to hike for the rest of the day, choosing to head to North Andover
The Loft Restaurant
for breakfast instead at Baked and O So Good.

This place is more of a bakery than a deli,
but in order to use my deal here, I had to get 2 sandwiches, both of which sounded interesting enough as well, namely the Turkey Dinner Sandwich (Turkey, Stuffing, Butternut Squash Puree, Cranberry Mayonnaise, and Gravy, on Cranberry Walnut bread)

And the Tuna Wasabi Sandwich (Tuna with Celery & Carrot, Wasabi Mayonnaise, Napa Cabbage, Asian Pickles on Multigrain Fociccini),
along with a Boston Cream mini-cupcake just for kicks.
Surprisingly good, especially the cupcake and the filling. I should have gotten more dessert.

From here, I headed into Lawrence to do a little sightseeing there
John R Rollins School
Lawrence Engine 6
Redeemer Lutheran Church
Ministerio Apostolico,
96 East Haverhill Street
Durant Square,
East Haverhill Street and Berkeley Street
Spanish Assembly of God,
14 Vine Street
Holy Cross Armenian Church,
54 East Haverhill Street
Amesbury Gardens,
206 Amesbury Street
St. Anthony Maronite Church
before heading into Boston for a meetup brunch event at Lulu's Allston.

Pretty interesting menu, from which I got the White Trash Hash (Braised short rib hash, tater tots, two poached eggs, hollandaise).
 Delicious, especially the tater tots.

After brunch, I went to pick my friend up, taking her to have some Indian food at Zaika Taste of India in Medford. Just like Kakkoii Sushi and Ramen yesterday, I did not know this place was located within a food court inside the Meadow Glen Mall. Nonetheless, we got the Lychee Juice,

Fish Makhani (tilapia cooked in tomato cream sauce) and Goat Curry (goat meat cooked in a light curry sauce).
Not bad, but we couldn't finish much of it before becoming too full.

After lunch, we headed into Boston, where I was lucky enough to find a nearby parking spot before heading to the City Hall Plaza, where the Big Apple Circus tent was located.
It was the first time my friend had ever seen a circus, so I was glad she could have this opportunity.
I did not take pictures of the performances, which included a pretty good balancing act, flying trapeze with some near impossible catches, and animals tricks to boot. Overall though, I still think Cirque du Soleil is better. But then again, it was interesting to note that the circus is actually non-profit.

After the show, it had become really cold, and I realized I was a little underdressed. We hurried to the North End, where we had dinner at La Galleria 33, a somewhat upscale Italian restaurant.

 We weren't that hungry, so we just got half portions of the Baked Gnocchi (Smoked mozzarella)
 and the Tortellini Galleria (Peas, prosciutto, fresh mushrooms, cream).
 I really liked the tortellini, although the tomato sauce for the gnocchi wasn't to my liking as always.

We also got the Tiramisu for dessert.


Not a bad end to a day at the circus. Next time, Cirque du Soleil.









 

No comments:

Post a Comment