Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21st 2011: Western 3rd Circle

Today, I decided to start off with the town of Dudley. I visited the Pierpont Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary first. The parking area is on Marsh Road close to its intersection with Dudley Oxford Road. The route I took is highlighted in pink below.
Walking from the parking lot, I reached the junction with Meadow Loop and turned into it. 
View of the meadow
Walking along Meadow Loop, I then turned left into the Link Trail, which leads to the Woodland Loop.
Walking in the woods
I turned into the George Marsh Trail when I came to it. The pond viewing area has a rock to stand on with a view of the Pierpont Meadow Pond, although it is pretty much marshland here.

On the way back, I happened upon a few trees that had their bases pretty much chewed out or something. I believe it is the work of beavers.
Beaver chewed tree trunk

Back onto the Woodland Loop, I turned left onto the main path to head toward the rental cabin area. The view of Pierpont Meadow Pond from here is much better.
I then followed the main trail back out to my car. Along the way, I spotted a boxelder bug.
Boxelder Bug
Done with my morning walk, I explored several other places in Dudley, including the town hall at 71 West Main Street, Merino Pond along Sawmill Road, the Do-Right Flea Market, and Nichols College.
Merino Pond
Do-Right Flea Market

Dudley Town Hall
Dudley War memorials


















First Congregational Church at Nichols College
Nichols College

The next town on the list was Charlton. I first went to the Capen Hill Nature Sanctuary. Maps are provided at the Visitor Center, but there really isn't much to see here though.
Pond at Capen Hill Nature Sanctuary 
I then headed into downtown Charlton, where there are some historical buildings here at the town common on Main Street between Burlingame Road and Old Worcester Road.
Charlton Town Hall, 37 Main Street
Charlton Public Library





The Town Common





Done with Charlton, I headed to the town of Spencer. My first place of visit was the Spencer State Forest. I decided not to do any trails, but parked at the parking lot on Howe Pond Road near the junction with Lyford Road. This is also the location of Howe Pond, the focus of my pictures in this place.










Howe Pond
I next headed into downtown Spencer. There is a lot of nice architecture in this area.
Mary Queen of the Rosary Parish










Old fire station behind town hall




Spencer Town Hall,
157 Main Street



Wire Village School

Richard Sugden Library



First Congregational Church
The Bemis Memorial Park on West Main Street close to its junction with Podunk Pike was hard to find, being on a small knoll right next to the road. The views from here were pretty good though.
The Bemis Memorial
View from the Bemis Memorial Park










Another place worth going to for its serene views of the surroundings from the top of the hill it resides on is the St. Joseph's Abbey.
 













Other places I visited in Spencer were various ponds and lakes.
Cranberry Meadow Pond,
Cranberry Meadow Road between
Jolicoeur Avenue and Briarcliff Lane
Brooks Pond,
Brooks Pond Road between
Washburn Drive and Oakham Road











Thompson Pond,
Thompson Pond Road between
Westland Drive and Oak Lane
Browning Pond,
Browning Pond Road
near Browning Pond Circle













Done with Spencer, I decided to head home, but while passing through Worcester, I saw several interesting buildings, including some abandoned churches, and decided to take pictures along the way. Pictures follow.
Saint Spyridon Greek Orthodox Cathedral
St. Matthew's Episcopal Church
Old Worcester State Hospital
Armenian Church of Our Savior














Immaculate Conception Parish
Old Notre Dame des Canadiens Church,
5 Salem Square












Sculpture outside the YWCA
Old St. Casimir Lithuanian Parish














Leprechaun Hat
outside Emerald Isle Restaurant,
49 Millbury Street
Polar Bear
outside Polar Beverages














Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish

Downtown Worcester








Odd Fellows' Home

I saw a nice building on top of a hill and decided to go check it out. It turned out to be the beautiful campus of the College of the Holy Cross.

































With that, I was done for today. Looking at the buildings of Worcester, I decided it was time to look at churches and schools/university campuses as well. More backtracking to do in the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment