Tuesday, August 30, 2011

August 30th 2011: Sightseeing After Work

Today after work, I decided to do some sightseeing before heading for my chess game in Natick. I decided to check out a few places in Shrewsbury, Westborough and Northborough. I visited Hill Farm Pond, which is in the middle of a residential area on Stoney Hill Road at the junction with Pheasant Hill Drive.
Next, I went to Prospect Park at 65 Prospect Street. Hurricane Irene had done a lot of damage here, with a lot of fallen trees all around the place. I lost my bearings as well along the way, finally coming back out on Prospect Road and having to walk back to my car along the road. The rough route I took is highlighted below in pink, starting out from the park's main entrance.
Destruction by Hurricane Irene

Next I headed to Westborough, where I visited Congregation B'nai Shalom

and the Bay State Commons Shopping Center.


The Headwaters Conservation Area was next. The rough route I took in the  is highlighted in black below.

If you are not familiar with the trails here, please do not try to these trails. There wasn't really anything much to see here, the trails were not properly marked, and the actual names of the trails did not even match what was on the map. I was doing fine until the trip back, where I got confused by all the forks in the road, and ended up at the Mill Pond School. I started panicking because it was starting to get dark, and I was never sure of I was in the middle of the woods, not to mention I was going to miss my chess game. Somehow I made my way out by following the trails, and actually came across a woman near my starting point who was walking her dog. She told me that you had to be familiar with the trails to know where you were going, and clearly I wasn't. Here are some pictures I took while being lost.
Hurricane Irene damage
Mill Pond
I have no idea how I got here
Finally out of the woods










As it turned out, I still had time, so I decided to head to Northborough to look at some churches.
St. Rose of Lima Parish
Algonquin Regional High School




Trinity Church
With that, I decided to call it a day and head to my chess game. I won, thankfully, even after a tiring few hours of sightseeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment