Monday, September 5, 2011

September 5th 2011: More Backtracking

Today was another day of backtracking, this time looking at the various schools, colleges and hiking trails in the various towns I had visited before.

In Worcester, I first visited the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), which has a pretty nice campus.







I then went to several other schools that looked good architecturally in the city.

Heard Street Discovery Academy
Vernon Hill School



Roosevelt School

Norrback Avenue School










My next town was Westborough, where I went to the Mill Pond School,

which apparently was where I got lost on Tuesday while trekking in the Headwaters Conservation Area. I also took pictures of the Astra Zeneca facility at 70 Otis Street, which has a pyramid similar to the one at the Luxor in Las Vegas.
I then embarked on my first trail in a while, the Jubilee Trail in Northborough on West Main Street close to its junction with Crawford Street. This trail is a small loop through the woods, but there was nothing to see at its highest point, so I did not take any pictures on this trek.  The route I travelled, which is the entire trail, is shown below. 
The next trail was very close by, at  the Cold Harbor Trail. The entrance to the trail is on the opposite side of West Main Street from Davis Street. Before I embarked on my hike, I decided to take a picture of some interesting monuments in the area, namely an M-60A3 Main Battle tank sitting outside the American Legion Vincent F. Picard Post 234 and a giant rooster sitting outside the AJ Tomaiolo's Italian Restaurant.
M-60A3 Main Battle Tank
Giant Rooster










The path I took is highlighted below in brown.
The trails were well marked and easy to follow, with me taking the main path all the way to the end on Church Street.
There were quite a few nice views of the surroundings along the trail.

Near the end however, the trail had not been cleared properly, and I had to bash through a few bushes to get out onto the road. As a result, I decided not to head back into the woods to return to my car, but chose  to walk along the roads, namely Church Street, West Street, Cherry Street, Crawford Street and finally back out to West Main Street as seen on the map.

Along the way back, I happened to spot a large green grasshopper looking bug in the middle of the road being harassed by a bee.
Next, I proceeded to Hudson, where I visited Centennial Beach near Sabago Road on the shores of the Fort Meadow Reservoir,

Tripp Pond on the corner of River Street and Main Street,
First United Methodist Church
and St. Michael's Parish.
Wood Park on Park Street at its junction with Rutland Street has a mini amphitheater

and the Taylor Memorial Bridge linking Apsley Park

across the Assabet River.


Marlborough was next on the list, with quite a few places I visited.
Memorial Beach
Williams Lake,
Lakeview Avenue between
Williams Street and I-495 Exit 24
Marlborough District Court
Saint Matthias Parish
Framingham had several interesting buildings and places that I missed out on before as well.
Framingham 7th Day Adventist Church
Minuteman Statue,
Union Avenue and Main Street
Edgell Memorial Library, 3 Oak Street
St. Bridget Parish

Old Framingham Train Station
(now Old Station Steakhouse),
417 Waverly Street
Framingham Savings Bank,
Park Street and Franklin Street

Church of the Nazarene
Saint Tarcisius Church
St. Jeremiah Church
First United Methodist Church

The Sheraton Framingham
St. George Catholic Church
Armenian Church of the Holy Translators
War Memorial,
Gaudalcanal Road and Concord Street

Danforth Street near Stearns Street
The Cushing Memorial/Tricentennial Park located between Eden Road and Jeremiah Donnelly Road is a pretty nice place to go for a walk or have a picnic. When I went today, it seemed like some parts of it were still under construction.
Next, I decided to head to Ashland. However along the way there on Winter Street between Long Avenue and Maple Street, I spotted a lovely view of the Framingham Reservoir #1 dam, of which I had previously taken pictures of from Salem End Road.

There happened to be a heron standing by the falls waiting for fish as well.

At Ashland was an Indian temple, the Sri Lakshmi Temple, the first I have seen since coming to America.

They seemed to be holding an event, and there were flowery markings on the road.
Finally, before the sun finally set for good, I took a picture of St. Cecilia Parish, and that was it for sightseeing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment