Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2nd 2011: Venturing out into the Second Circle

I decided to take a break from traveling last week because I was studying for my online course which I just completed, so it was back to sightseeing this weekend. Since my last post, I realized that I was not done with Worcester yet. I decided to first visit the Bancroft Tower in Salibury Park early this morning. It sits atop a hill, and looks like a medieval castle, although from some viewpoints it seems to be in 2D. Some views follow.
















The other place I was to visit in Worcester was the Broad Meadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary. However, as the visitor center would only open later in the day, I decided to head into Auburn first. Goddard Park on Auburn Street and Southbridge Street was first on my list. This park is dedicated to Robert H. Goddard, the inventor of the first liquid fueled rocket, a replica of which is at the park, together with a small scale model of a modern space shuttle rocket. This small park is by the Auburn Pond, which was really beautiful. Pictures follow.






First liquid-fueled rocket
Modern Rocket



Ducks at Auburn Pond
I visited a few other places today in Auburn, including the town offices at 104 Central Street, Eddy Pond on Central Street near the town offices, Dark Brook Reservoir along Leicester Street and Bryn Mawr Avenue, St. Joseph's Church,  and finally Crystal Caves Family Entertainment Center, which has a nice mini-golf section. I just did not think that mini-golf meant that the area would be mini as well.

Monument at Auburn Town Center
Eddy Pond
Dark Brook Reservoir










Crystal Caves Mini-Golf
St. Joseph's Church










It was back to Worcester after my Auburn visit, to visit the Broad Meadow Brook Wildlife Sanctuary. It was $4 to enter for a non-resident. Isn't Shrewsbury close enough to be consider me as a resident too?? Guess not. This was my first trail since trekking in Hassanamesit Woods in Grafton. The route I took is highlighted in pink below.

Starting from the Conservation Center on Massasoit Road, I took the Sagatabscot Ridge Trail, then turned left onto Frog Pond Trail. As the name of the trail suggests, there was a little pond to the left of the trail, and I managed to catch sight of a few frogs out of the water.












From the Frog Pond Trail, I proceeded right along the Sprague Trail until the intersection with Holdredge Trail, upon which I turned right, and continued left onto Lady Slipper Trail when I came to it. At the next fork in the road, I took the right path, the Troiano Brookside Trail. Here, while walking along Broad Meadow Brook, was where I saw the most wildlife. Pictures follow.







Muskrat in the water

Heron
Walking to the end of the trail, I entered onto Hampton Street. Reluctant to go back the way I came with all the bugs coming after me, I found my way to Massasoit Road and walked the long way back to my car. All in all, I enjoyed my hike this time, mainly due to the wildlife I saw at the brook. While back out in civilization, I also spotted this interesting sight and captured a robin perched atop a mailbox with an interesting sign.
The next town I visited was Leicester. Although I visited several ponds, most of them were not very impressive, although I decided to take this picture of Waite Pond along Mannville Street.
The town of Paxton was next on my list for the day. Moore State Park is located here. The route I took is shown below in pink.
I started my trek here from the parking lot on Sawmill Road near the main entrance to the park at the road's intersection with West Street (Route 31). The Blackhill Road Trail leads through the woods to the Enchanta Trail on the right, which in turn goes back to Sawmill Road. Here the scene was quite beautiful with small falls and bridges at Eames Pond and Gristmill Pond.





Getting back into the woods by entering the Azalea Path, I saw an old sawmill, and there actually is an area with a solitary bench with a great view of the falls flowing through the sawmill. Judging from all the engravings on the trees surrounding the area, it is clearly a great place for a romantic evening. 
The old sawmill


The Azalea Path ultimately leads back to the Blackhill Road Trail, and that was it for Moore State Park and Paxton. 

The next few hours was spent in a fruitless search for interesting sights in Holden and Sterling. I finally found Sholan Park along Hall Avenue in Sterling. This is also the site of the Town Beach, which lies on East Waushacum Pond.
I decided to end my day after this, partly because I had not done any more research on other towns. Besides, there is still 2 more days to the Independence Day weekend, so there is still more to come.









1 comment: