Monday, July 4, 2011

July 4th 2011: Independence Day in Southern 2nd Circle


I started off Independence Day by heading towards Upton, which is southeast of of Shrewsbury. On the way there while on Upton Road near its junction with Spring Road, I happened to spy a beautiful pond in Westborough with a small park on its shores. It was the town reservoir, Sandra Pond, and the park being the Minuteman Park. This is a great place for a morning stroll or walking the dog, with benches for enjoying the lake view.

Heading on to Upton, my first destination was the Upton State Forest, the main entrance being near the intersection between Southboro Road and Westboro Street. The walking route I took is shown below in pink.
It was here that I first realized that I had another potential problem besides getting lost or getting mauled by some big animal while in the woods: deer ticks.

After taking all necessary precautions like pulling up my socks and staying away from vegetation as much as possible, I first went along Park Road, thinking that the Loop Road was pretty muddy, and had a good climb up a gravel trail. I turned into Dean Pond Road after that, although I could not be sure, but thankfully a man walking his dog came my way and he told me how to get to the Dean Pond, and from there I used the Loop Road to get back to my car.
Dean Pond
All in all, Upton State Forest is a good place to take a dog for a walk in the woods and to play catch in the pond, but it did not offer much in terms of views. Other places I visited in Upton were Pratt Pond, on which the town beach, Kiwanis Beach, resides at the end of Kiwanis Beach Road, and the town common on the corner of North Main Street and Milford Street. There is also a fun paintball place in this town, namely Fox 4 Paintball.
Kiwanis Beach
Pratt Pond




















Upton War Memorials
Upton Town Hall
The next town I went to was Northbridge. I tried to find the town hall by going to Main Street, but found the town war memorial in Rockdale Park on the corner of Providence Road and School Street instead.
Northbridge war memorial
St. Peter's Catholic Church











The next town on the list was Sutton. The first place I went to was the Tricentennial Park along Blackstone River on Blackstone Street. This is a pretty small area, but has a monument commemorating Sutton's 300th birthday in 2004, and a nice waterfall as well.
Tricentennial Monument












Along the way to my next destination, Lake Singletary, I had to drive through Millbury, and in doing so, I happened to pass by the Asa Waters Mansion, and decided to stop and take some pictures.
Asa Waters Mansion











Heading towards Sutton, I found a parking spot beside Brierly Pond along West Main Street, close to its intersection with Sutton Road. This place has a lovely view of the pond, and while I was there, I saw a cormorant drying its wings and several ducks swimming around and towards me as though I had food for them.






Cormorant drying its wings



Ducks swimming towards me
I finally made it to the town beach on Lake Singletary in Sutton at the end of Tuttle Road. The parking lot was closed for the day, so I had to park outside and walk down the hill to the beach, which had some good views.


Before heading to the Sutton Falls Camping Area, I visited the town common on the corner of Circuit Road and Uxbridge Road, which was not very impressive, Merrill Pond on the corner of West Sutton Road and 8 Lots Road, Manchaug Pond on the corner of Torrey Road and Holt Road, Manchaug Falls near the corner of Main Street and Manchaug Road, which is really serene and beautiful,  and Waters Farm, which I did not enter, but the views of Manchaug Pond from the top of the hill where it's situated are pretty fantastic.
Sutton Town Common
View from Waters Farm
Merrill Pond












Manchaug Pond
Flower at Manchaug Falls




The Sutton Falls Camping Area is a really nice place for camping. It is situated right next to Aldrich Mill Pond, and has a old wooden bridge passing over the falls.
Wooden Bridge
Aldrich Mill Pond From the Bridge

Sutton Falls




View from the Falls















My last destination in Sutton was the Purgatory Chasm State Reservation. I had been here before with my colleagues, but did not take any pictures at the time, so I decided to come again one more time. The route I took, the Chasm Loop Trail, is highlighted in pink below.

It can be quite a dangerous hike on slippery rocks if one is not sure-footed, but it is a fun hike all the same, and there are a lot of visitors during the summer. Pictures follow.
 

 





 
No idea how this tree survives
Finally done with Sutton, it was off to Oxford to complete the 2nd Circle. The first place I visited was the Huguenot Fort Site. I had expected to see at least some remnants of the fort, but all there was was a patch of grass, which apparently I could not even park my car on. There was a monument marking the spot near Fort Hill Road and Rhonda Rheault Drive however, and a post of what the fort used to look like.


What Hueguenot Fort used to look like

Next, I went to the Hodges Village Dam, which can be reached from Howarth Road. I parked at the bottom of the dam and made my way up. The dam was the first US Army Corps of Engineers dam I visited so far, but not the most impressive I have to admit, to be proven sooner than expected, although there were beautiful views.







Hodges Village Dam
Buffumville Lake Dam in Charlton was next on my list. I parked at the bottom at the end of Old Oxford Road as it goes into Gates Road. There's a nice disc golf setup in the area. I walked the length of the dam and climbed up near Oxford Road and Charlton Street, then walked all the way back along the top of the dam to catch the nice views of Buffumville Lake below. I even spotted a family of Canadian geese and their goslings along the way.
The Dam
Disc Golf at the Dam






























Canadian Goose Family
Buffumville Lake










With that, I finished the second circle of towns, and decided to call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment