Saturday, October 15, 2011

October 15th 2011: Concord, Lincoln and Wayland

I start late today. Passing by the Shrewsbury town common, I saw several Halloween dolls propped up on the grass, and decided to take a few pictures here. Willy's Steakhouse is a really good restaurant in this area. I love the caramelized duck entree they have here.
Willy's Steakhouse



Shrewsbury Fire Department

I then went to Sudbury for lunch at Lotus Blossom. This is a Chinese-Japanese fusion restaurant with really great decor. While the Gold Nugget Maki containing sweet potato was delicious, the soft shell crab dish was a little too sour for my liking. This is not to say that the food here is not good though, just that I did not get the right dish.


Gold Nugget Maki
Soft Shell Crab over Egg noodles
with Lemon Yuzu Butter




After lunch, I started my sightseeing today by going to the Punkatasset Conservation Land in Concord, the parking area located around 450 Monument Street. The route I took is highlighted in pink below.

The views of Hutchins Pond were nice, while the only interesting thing on Punkatasset Hill was an old ski slope.


Hutchins Pond
Spillway


Old Ski Slope
The last place I visited in Concord was Warner's Pond on the corner of Warner Street and Pond Street, where there is a trail leading to the pond's edge. It was pretty overgrown however, and there is a better view from the dam at the corner of Laws Brook Road and Commonwealth Avenue.




It was back to Lincoln then, at the Drumlin Farm Wildlife Sanctuary. This place has a $7 admission fee, as it is like a mini-zoo, quite like that at the EcoTarium in Worcester.
The rough route I took is highlighted below in pink.

From the admissions center, I walked a short way before seeing some interesting sculptures.
From here I headed toward the Ice Pond, walking across the bridge there.
Heading into the Drumlin Loop, there were several great views up here.





Heading back down, I went to the Bird Hill and famland area, which was pretty much made of animals in cages. The views here of the surroundings were pretty okay though.

The next place I visited was the deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum. This place was pretty much like the Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, with sculptures outdoors, as well as a museum with interesting pieces of art.
Interesting art pieces














Views of the museum itself follow.




Some interesting views of the surroundings, including the nearby Flints Pond.

















Other places I visited today in Lincoln before heading to the Minute Man National Historical Park follow.
Lincoln Public Library
Codman House

First Parish in Lincoln
Parish House
The Minute Man National Historical Park visitor center is where I parked my car while visiting it. The rough path I took is highlighted below.
After walking for quite awhile on the route, I began to realize that while this was a great place for an evening stroll or a bike ride, There wasn't anything much in terms of nice historical buildings except old houses and some memorials. This might have been a historically significant route, but somehow I was not feeling very nostalgic, instead more tired with the distance I had to walk from place to place. Hence, I made a decision not to continue, and head on to the town of Wayland instead.
PArker's Revenge Site
Wall picture inside the Visitor Center

Paul Revere Capture Site
Tunnel under Hanscom Drive










With the sun setting quickly, I was only able to capture a few interesting buildings and monuments in Wayland.

Trinitarian Congregational Church
Wayland Public Library

Islamic Center of Boston







Sarah Pryor Living Memorial at
Hannah Willams Park, 69 Main Street




First Parish in Wayland
With that, I was done for the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment