Sunday, November 13, 2011

November 13th 2011: Spending the Day in Wellesley

This morning, I started out a little late in the town of Wellesley. My first destination was the Massachusetts Horticultural Society, most of which actually is in Dover. This place has several gardens, although I picked the wrong time to visit, when all the leaves are dying and falling off. The rough route I took is highlighted below in pink.

Instead of parking at the main parking area, I parked at the soccer fields instead by mistake, and walked all the way to the main entrance to realize it.
Manor House from the road
Hunnewell Building
Trial Garden


At the Weezies Garden, there was an interesting towerlike structure which I could climb up, and take some pictures of the surroundings.

The Italianate Garden was pretty as well, although all the plants were dying.


Manor House


On the way back while walking around, I took a few more pictures of the road back, an offshoot of the Charles River, and a giant rocking chair.
















I next went to the Wellesley College campus. The rough route I took from the visitor parking lot is highlighted below in pink.
I did not know where the main entrance was along Central Street, so I entered by mistake into the dorm areas first.
Bike/Walking Entrance to Wellesley College
Casenove and Pomeroy Halls



Driving a little further, I finally found parking at the campus police area. I then started walking around and taking pictures of the buildings. While in this area, I also spotted my second woolly bear caterpillar.


Alumnae Hall
Keohane Sports Center
Campus Police



Wang Campus Center





Woolly Bear







I then went down to the shores Lake Waban, where I caught sight of a heron, and had great views of the scenery there.



Heron












The boathouse
I proceeded to Tower Court next.



I then checked out the College Library before heading back to the lakeside to take pictures of the views there






The chapel area also had several interesting buildings around it.


The next place I ventured to is the Stone Davis Hall.


From here, I went back down to Lake Waban again, where there were swans swimming, and an artist painting a picture of the lake.



The president's house was across the bridge.
Heading back, I took a picture of the tower that has come to be associated with Wellesley College from a distance.
Below follow a few pictures of places I saw before reaching the Academic Quad.
Stone Center
Science Center










Whitin Observatory
At the Academic Quad, I took one more picture of the Green Hall Tower from up close.
Finally, I was done with Wellesley College. I then headed for brunch at Maugus Restaurant, where I tried the baked lamb, which was really tender.
Baked Lamb with Mashed Potatoes and Rice
After my brunch, I visited several other places in town before heading to Babson College.
St. Andrew's Episcopal Church
Hunnewell Elementary School





War Memorial, Washington Street
White Goose

Wellesley Congregational Church
Wellesley Town Hall












Wellesley Fire Department Station #1



Dana Hall School
Wellesley Free Library Main Branch







Hunnewell Park
St. Paul Parish
Wellesley Police Department

Wellesley Fire Station #2
Unitarian Universalist Church










Wellesley Middle School
Wellesley Free Library Hills Branch








Wellesley Hills Congregational Church

St. John the Evangelist Church








MassBay Community College
Wellesley Hills Campus
Annie F Warren Building,
90 Washington Street





Wellesley High School

Sprague Clock Tower,
Worcester Street and Washington Street
Old Fire Station,
182 Walnut Street














Rockridge Pond
At Babson College, I decided to drive around instead of walking. Pictures of some of the interesting places follow.
Reynolds Student Center
Coleman Hall

Olin Hall
Van Winkle Hall


Arthur M Blank Center
Tomasso Hall

Glavin Chapel
Horn Library
Park Manor



Webster Center







Olin College of Engineering Buildings









Next, I headed to Longfellow Pond. There are several trails here, and the path I decided to take, which is basically walking around the pond, is highlighted below in brown.
There were several good views of the pond, shown below.



The last place I visited today was Washington Park, which is situated on the banks of the Charles River. There were great views of the Finlay Dam from here, and there was also a side passage to allow fish to bypass the dam safely.

Fish Passage
Finlay Dam








There were still a few other places to visit in Wellesley, but it was getting dark by then, so I decided to call it a day here.
















No comments:

Post a Comment