Wednesday, October 25, 2017

October 25th 2017: Hiking in Erving

I passed through Hubbardston today,
Moosehorn Pond
on the way to the Erving State Forest. I have been here once before, but the last time I was here, a hiker I happened to bump into mentioned that there was the remains of a fire tower on the Bear Loop, so I had to go check it out for myself, and today was my chance. The path I took here is shown in pink.
There wasn't anything much to see though, although the brooks were somewhat overflowing from the rain.
From here, I went to looking for the Briggs Brook Falls, which is on the Metacomet Monadnock Trail, the trailhead being at the junction of Briggs Road and Cross Street (upper half of map below).

A short walk from here to a bridge, and there the falls were, behind some huge rocks,
and I could get closer due to a small path nearby.
From here, I headed nearby to the Farley Ledges, where the path I took is shown in the lower half of the map above. The ledges themselves were pretty impressive,

but the hiking was pretty treacherous. Thankfully, I was rewarded in the end at the top of the ledges with this awesome view.
After finally making my way back to the car, I checked out a few more places in town,
Erving Fire Station #2, 18 Moore Street
Erving Public Library
even venturing into the town of Montague for the first time,
Covenant Church
before finally calling it a day and heading home. A pretty fruitful day for hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment