Saturday, February 23, 2013

February 23rd 2013: Chinese New Year Dinner at BuddaC, Brookline



Today, I had a lunch and a dinner event in the Boston area, so I decided to head to Newton to start off my sightseeing there.
Second Baptist Church,
65 Ellis Street
Myrtle Baptist Church
St. John's Episcopal Church
I decided to use my Groupon at Great Harvest Bread Company while I was still in Newton. This place is more like a bakery than an eating place.
Unfortunately, it was too early for paninis, so I decided to get the Blueberry, Blueberry Cranberry, Raspberry Chocolate Chip and Cinnamon Chip Cheese Scones,

the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie,

the Mixed Berry Oatbran with Walnuts Muffin,

and the Country Smoked Turkey Sandwich.
I liked the sandwich and the cookie, while the muffins and scones were okay for my taste.

Next, I headed into Watertown,
Armenian Memorial Church

Belmont Street Baptist Church,
126 Templeton Parkway
using yet another Groupon at yet another bakery, the Big Sky Bread Bakery and Cafe. Another small bakery, though this time my experience was not as stellar. When the owner saw that I got a Groupon, he insisted that I had to buy at least 2 loaves of bread, along with a box of granola, and then duped me into getting a ham and cheese croissant as well which he said was freshly made.

I grudgingly got the Garlic Basil Parmesan bread

and the Lithuanian Dark Rye Bread, which I have not tried yet to date,

and the Snack Granola,

which was actually pretty tasty, containing sunflower seeds as well. I also enjoyed the croissant. Unfortunately, due to the owner's terrible service, don't think I ever want to come back here again.

From here, it was on to Cambridge.
Cambridge Skating Club
River Street Fire Station
Antioch Temple, 44 William Street
Rush Memorial AME Zion Church,
82 School Street
St. Paul AME Church
Pentecostal Tabernacle
Old Beth Israel Synagogue,
238 Columbia Street
Old Immaculate Conception Lithuanian Church,
424 Windsor Street
St. Anthony's Church
St. Francis of Assisi Church,
325 Cambridge Street
Sacred Heart Church, 49 Sixth Street
Cambridge Juvenile Court, 121 3rd Street
Old Holy Cross National Church,
Thorndike Street and 3rd Street
Old Middlesex County Courthouse,
94 3rd Street
Middlesex South Registry of Deeds
Old Clerk of Courts, 41 2nd Street
Bulfinch Square,
43 Thorndike Street
Portuguese Baptist Church,
114 Inman Street
While in town, I visited the Arthur M. Sackler Museum, a small art museum on the Harvard University campus which had some nice exhibits, and is free admission to Massachusetts residents on Saturdays.
After visiting the museum, I headed to the Allston area in Boston to do some sightseeing there before heading to lunch at Hanmaru in town.
Hill Memorial Baptist Church
Lincoln Street Green Strip
Old St. Anthony's Church,
43 Holton Street
Joseph P Golden Memorial,
Cambridge Street
and Brighton Avenue

Zoetrope, ~5 Guest Street
From here, I decided it was time to head to lunch. Thankfully, I was able to find parking quickly, and made it to lunch on time.

After looking at the menu, I decided to go for the Jok Bal (Steamed Pork Foot in Special Sauce),

 while my friends got the Tom Yum Soup with chicken,

Ginger and Scallion Fish,

and LA Galbi.
The side dishes provided were pretty good, especially the macaroni salad.


My pork was reminiscent of the Sam Gyup Gool Bo Sum I had at Korean Garden which is actually just down the street from here. After a while, I got bored of eating my pork, so I went to try my friend's stuff. All except the Tom Yum soup were pretty good, which was too sweet in my opinion.

After an enjoyable lunch with meetup friends, some of us headed to FroyoWorld nearby for some frozen yogurt, which has a cute little mascot in the center.

As always, I got a little of all the flavors available, namely Original Tart, Strawberrylicious Tart, Tiramisu Cupcake, Vanilla Bean, Caramel Dipped Apple, Nutella Hazelnut Creme, Birthday Cake Mix, Coffee Lovers Blend, Lychee Tart, Raspberry Tart, Taro Milk Tea, Green Tea, Sweet Coconut Sensation, Pom Razzle Tart, Kiwi Strawberry Sorbet and Aloha Pineapple Tart. The result was a work of art, as always.
The flavors were all pretty okay, although the Pom Razzle Tart was a little sour, while the coconut and the green tea were not for me at all. Otherwise, it was pretty good.

After dessert, I bid adieu to my friends, and proceeded to the Brighton area in Boston to resume sightseeing there.
Brighton Square,
~20 Chestnut Hill Avenue
Community United Methodist Church
Old Oak Square School,
35 Nonantum Street
Oak Square YMCA
Engine 51 Fire Station,
425 Faneuil Street

Old Our Lady of the Presentation Church,
676 Washington Street
The Presentation School Foundation Community Center
Brighton High School
Statue, ~20 Warren Street

Franciscan Hospital for Children


Sisters of St. Joseph
15 North Beacon

Greater Boston Chinese Alliance Church,
239 North Beacon Street
With that the sun went down for good, and I decided to call it a day for sightseeing. It was at this point that I saw that the low tire pressure light for my car was on, indicating I had a flat tire. However, my driving did not seem to be affected by it, and since I was far from home and had to drive all the way back anyway, I decided to proceed as per normal, heading to Pita Pit in the city of Brookline to get 2 free pitas according to my groupon.

When I got there, I saw that the place is more like a fast food joint like Subway. After looking at the menu, I decided to get the Prime Rib

and the Pastrami Pitas.

They were just average in my opinion, though.

From here, it was time to head to BuddaC nearby for a meetup Chinese New Year Celebration Dinner. This place is pretty nicely decorated, although our function was held in a back room with buffet style food served.  I think I definitely want to come back to try out this place again, especially after checking out the menu. To say the least, I had a good time with old friends and meeting new ones, and I was also able to give out 2 Fugu Truck T-shirts as prizes. Pictures of the food and room follow.
After everyone finally left, I headed home on a flat tire, without experiencing any difficulties driving at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment