Saturday, February 2, 2013

February 2nd 2013: Exploring Northern Quincy



Today, I had a meetup lunch at Yummy Cafe at 669 Hancock Street in Quincy, so I decided to do some exploring there.

After getting up early, I passed through several towns on the way to Quincy. First, it was the town of Hopkinton.
Woodville Baptist Church
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Community Covenant Church
Hopkinton Square, 22 South Street
Korean Presbyterian Church in Greater Boston

Hopkinton Center School
In Ashland, I discovered Mill Pond Park on the shores of the Sudbury River Reservoir on the corner of Myrtle Street and Pine Hill Road, where there are 2 man made water cascades.
Federated Church of Ashland
Fire Station #1, 151 Main Street
Sudbury River Reservoir at Mill Pond Park
Next, I headed for breakfast at Eggcetera, etc. in Framingham. This place, though looking a little fast food like in nature, has a little twist to it in that you create your own breakfast, choosing from a salad bar/buffet like selection of ingredients, cheeses and sauces, putting them in a paper dish, placed in a pan, then have it served up to the counter who then cooks your omelette or pasta for you, or you can order a custom made sandwich as well.
As always, I decided to go for a bit of everything (that I like) for my omelette, so my plate was a mix and match of colors by the time I went to the counter.

The final product looked and tasted much better of course, served with a side of bread of your choice and home fries.

On top of that, I had a bacon and cheddar Panini, which wasn't too bad as well.

Overall, an interesting concept for a breakfast place, although the food is just average.

Continuing my sightseeing, I headed into the town of Sherborn next.
Pilgrim Church of Sherborn
Then it was Dover,
St. Dunstan's Episcopal Church
The Dover Church
Most Precious Blood Church
followed by the town of Westwood.
First Baptist Church
First Parish of Westwood
In Dedham,
Fellowship Bible Church


if the Mother Brook Condominium apartments on South Stone Mill Drive had not caught my eye,

I would not have found the Centennial Dam

bordering the Mill Pond.
I passed through the Hyde Park area in Boston on the way to Milton,
Blue Hill Community Church

visiting the Francis D Martini Shell Park while I was there.
Finally, I headed into Milton before heading for lunch in Quincy.
Church of Christ
Heading into Quincy, there was a lot of traffic, but thankfully there was a small parking lot behind the restaurant.

I was apparently still not the last one to arrive even though I was late, but we did not have to wait too long before ordering. The host of the meetup event did the ordering for us, him being a regular customer at this authentic Chinese food place. Below are the pictures of what we had for lunch, all of which were pretty good.
Scallion Pancakes
Soy Sauce Sliced Duck
Spicy Salted Chicken Wings
Curry Fish Balls
Yang Chow Fried Rice
Beef Chow Fun
After a delicious lunch, I decided to stay in Quincy to sightsee there. Pictures of a few areas I visited before heading to the beaches in the northern part of Quincy follow.
Quincy Community United Methodist Church
Wollaston Post Office
Wollaston Fire Station
St. Ann's Church
Eastern Nazarene College
Wollaston Church of the Nazarene
Union Congregational Church
Wollaston Lutheran Church
St. Chrysostom's Episcopal Church
Sacred Heart Church
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church
Graystone Apartments,
Oliver Street and East Squantum Street
Old Evangelical Congregational Church of Atlantic,
65 Newbury Avenue
On the way to Moswetuset Hummock, I happened to pass by the entrance to the unfinished Quincy Neponset Riverwalk at ~133 Commander Shea Boulevard, so I decided to park nearby and take a walk.

The views of the Boston skyline from here over the marshes are actually pretty good, although my camera did not take too good pictures this time.
After leaving the area, I headed to the Moswetuset Hummock area, where I parked in the small lot there.

There are nice views of the sea from here, and Wollaston Beach in the distance.

Wollaston Beach in the distance
After finishing the small loop trail here, I headed further north to Squantum Point Park, where there were awesome views of Boston. There is also a dock here which I was able to walk all the way to the end of.

Somewhere in this park, I misplaced my beanie, only realizing when I had already reached the Marina Bay area. This area is really beautiful, with lots of high end restaurants on the water's edge.
The Chantey at Marina Bay,
333 Victory Road
500 Victory Road
Vietnam Veterans Memorial Clock Tower
Leaving the area, I then headed to a beach area on the corner of Bayside Road and Border Street, thinking it was Orchard Beach, but apparently there is no name for it. At low tide, it apparently goes all the way to Moon Island and to the Long Island bridge, both of which technically are a prohibited areas. The southward views from the beach were pretty nice though.

From here, I headed to the other side of Moon Island Road to Nickerson Beach, entering the area from Dorchester Street near Shoreham Street.

Once again, there were beautiful views of the Boston skyline from here, especially with the sun setting at this time. There's also the remains of a pillar here, which I managed to find my way to.




Unfortunately, as it was high tide, I could not find the sand bar leading to Thompson Island,

and I soon ran out of beach as well, forcing me upward toward Squaw Rock Park above,

where there is a memorial at the top of it.


With the day ending, I decided to call it a day for sightseeing, heading into Boston for another meetup event which I was hosting at Shabu-Zen, a steamboat place in the Allston area. We had get 4 tables as we had over 30 people, but it worked out pretty well in the end, and I enjoyed my steamboat meal.
Vegetarian Delight
Seafood Supreme
When we were all done, the plan was to go to Do Re Mi nearby for a karaoke session, but my friend suggested another place, Jin Karaoke at 16 Harvard Avenue, which is closer by and we could all walk to. Unfortunately in all the commotion that followed, some people had to take their cars and thought we were still going to DoReMi, and it was also really hard to find parking in the area at this time, so we lost a lot of people in the process. Thankfully, the party still went on, although the place had more Korean than Chinese songs, but I had a great time singing with everyone else who managed to make it there.

With that, I had to leave a little early to pick my friend up as I was staying at his place for the night as we had more food truck business to tend to tomorrow. It was a good thing, as I was just about to lose my voice from singing anyway.








No comments:

Post a Comment