Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10th 2012: Hiking at Mandell Hill, Hardwick

 Today after work, I decided to go hiking at Mandell Hill in Hardwick while it was still light out. The parking area is located at the junction of Ridge Road and Barre Road, and shortly after entering the farmlike area, the views all around are just amazing. Pictures follow.












The rough path I took while here is shown below in black.
Walking through the fields along the path was a wonderful experience, but when I headed into the woods, I got disoriented and totally lost, although it was nice to see signs of new plant life in the form of young shrublings on the ground.
I somehow ended up on a field right next to Upper Church Street. Thankfully, the GPS on my phone was working sufficiently to tell me roughly where I was: I long way away from my car. I happened to meet a woman walking her dog as well on the field, who told me I was actually walking on private land and that there were lots of ticks there, but she also directed me where to go. I ended up with dog slobber on my pants though. The views from the field here follow.











Finally, after reaching Upper Church Street and while walking back to my car, I took several pictures of flowers along the way.












Dinner was back in Worcester at La Scala, where I had a Livingsocial deal for $30 to spend. This place is a pretty small restaurant with a bar right next to the dining area. By the time I arrive, people were finishing their dinners, and the place was less than an hour from closing.
The task of finding enough food to spend $30 on was much easier tonight, with me getting the beef minestrone soup special, baked stuffed shrimp with spinach and rice pilaf, and finally the pistachio cream cake.
Beef Minestrone
Baked Stuffed Shrimp


Pistachio Cream Cake
The dishes were pretty typical, I feel, nothing much to shout out about. Thankfully I was still able to save about $15 from this transaction. After dinner, I still had time to rush to Dick's Sporting Goods at Lincoln Plaza on 525 Lincoln Street to grab a bike rack for my car in preparation for a mountain bike which I intend to use for riding the several rail trails in Massachusetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment