Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1st 2013: A New Year in Cambridge

Today was New Year's Day, and it was hard to find restaurants which were open today. Thankfully, El Potro Mexican Bar and Grill in Somerville was open for business, so I decided to head there for brunch after having woken up late today after my late night yesterday.

Like most other restaurants in Somerville, the restaurant was pretty small town style with a casual feel, although it was pretty colorful Mexican style in terms of decor.

For the $20 I had to spend, I decided to get the Tortilla Soup

and the Enchiladas Trio, consisting of a mole enchilada, cheese enchilada, enchilada Verde with rice and refried beans garnished with pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream.
I was a little disappointed with the soup as it was pretty bland, although I enjoyed the enchiladas, especially the mole one.

After my brunch, I headed to several places in Cambridge to visit them.
MIT Museum

Inman Square Fire House
Vellucci Plaza,
Hampshire Street and Cambridge Street
First United Presbyterian Church,
1418 Cambridge Street
First Reformed Presbyterian Church
Cambridge City Hall Annex,
344 Broadway
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
Islamic Society of Boston
Sennott Park
Area IV Youth Center
St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church
St. Mary's of the Annunciation Church
Massachusetts Avenue Baptist Church
Beth Shalom
Cambridgeport Baptist Church
St. Augustine's African Orthodox Pro-Cathedral,
137 Allston Street
First Church of the Nazarene
Legal Seafoods
Boston Marriott Cambridge
4 Cambridge Center
I then parked in the MIT area, and started my exploration of the university campus

and the University Park at MIT complex.


While in the Kendall Square T-Station area, I tried to look for the Cambridge Center Rooftop Garden, but was told by the staff at the Boston Marriott Cambridge that it was closed for good. After doing some research I now know where it is exactly, and will come back to find it again next time.
The sun was setting as I did my explorations, and the views of Boston across the Charles River were stunning.
Finally, it was too dark to take any more pictures, so I headed back to my car, taking pictures of the Christmas decor on the roads as I went.

With that, I looked for a restaurant that was open today, and found it in Bistro 20, an upscale western cuisine restaurant in the town of Sudbury. It was pretty empty today, but I can assume how full it would be on a regular day.

For the $40 I had to spend here, I decided to get the Minestrone Soup,

the Eggplant Tower appetizer, lightly breaded and layered with ricotta cheese, mozzarella, tomato & red pepper coulis,

and the Rack of Lamb for my entree, with Vin brûlée and blueberry sauce, and asparagus and warm cannellini salad on the side.
It was an excellent meal to say the least, and I was stuffed at the end of it all. The Eggplant tower was surprisingly good especially since I don't really go for tomato sauces.

With that, my long vacation break finally came to an end. Back to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment