Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January 30th 2013: Painting Pottery at the Clayroom in Brookline

Today after work, I had a meetup event in Brookline to paint pottery at the Clayroom, so I decided to use my Groupon at Mexicali Burrito Co. in Cambridge for some quick Mexican dinner before heading for the event.

Having already seen the menu online before coming into this fast food like place in the middle of the MIT campus,

I got to ordering quickly, getting a large cup of Horchata, a Mexican Vanilla Milkshake with a touch of cinnamon, their soup special of their famous Squash soup, and a Big Sur, a large burrito made of two tortillas, rice, beans, spicy rojo chicken and spicy mushrooms, salsa and all other toppings you can find in a typical burrito.


I wasn't a fan of the cinammon in the horchata drink, and I need to stop ordering squash soup as its sweet taste does not goes down well with me either. The Burrito was ok, thankfully. Overall, not a big fan.

Heading into Brookline, I went into the Clayroom to meet up with old and new friends. This place has a Wine and Cheese night every Wednesday, so we snacked on some while waiting for others to arrive.


When we finally decided to start, we had to choose from a whole selection of pre-made pottery.

I decided to go with a piggy bank for my first try.
After looking at it for a bit, I finally decided to not paint it pink like most people would, but try to make it look like a panda instead. Given my lack of painting skills, this is how it turned out in the end.
How I managed to make it look like different animals from different angles, I honestly don't know, but that's the genius in art isn't it? I did another plate to make up for the $24 of pottery we could paint, with a much simpler design this time.
My other friends did better at their works of art for sure. Take a look at the pictures taken of them. My friend even painted one of the logo for my upcoming food truck.





We left only when the place closed for the night, leaving behind our artwork, which will be covered in a lacquer film and burned in a kiln to produce the final product. Hope my panda pig will turn out as well as the finished products along the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment