Saturday, December 3, 2016

December 3rd 2016: Hiking in CT and RI

I started out today with breakfast at Carl's Oxford Diner, a small town place In Oxford. I got the Pastrami and Cheese Omelette,

which was tasty but way too big a portion for me to eat all of it. They are the ones behind the Pig Bus in town.

Next, it was on to the town of Thompson CT to start my sightseeing for the day,
St. Stephen's Church,
130 Old Turnpike Road
VFW Post 10088, 654 Quinebaug Road
Tri State Baptist Church

With a hike on the western side of West Thompson Lake, which I failed to finish the last time I was here.

The paths I took here are shown below in pink.

The Ravenelle Ponds were nothing to look at,  and I had to do a little thrashing through the fields to get to the swampy water body in the Ramsdell Farm site area.

The recreation area had beautiful views of the dam though,

As were the views from the road as I drove past.
I stopped by the Immaculate Conception Spiritual Renewal Center in Putnam CT

on the way
Quaddick Reservoir, 455 Quaddick Road

to the Quaddick Reservoir beach at Quaddick State Park, where the views weren't as good.

From here, I headed into the town of Burrillville RI,
Wakefield Pond, End of Lee Circle
Cub World Scout Camp
Round Pond, End of Doe Crossing Drive

going on a hike at the Buck Hill Wildlife Management Area, where the path I took here is shown below in pink.

The map was a little confusing at times, with many side trails present, but I was able to use my GPS to prevent myself from wandering off too far from my desired path. The Marsh itself was pretty nice, but nothing much else here.

I was more concerned about not getting shot by deer hunters in the area though.

Finally time to head back, I headed back into the Massachusetts town of Webster,
Providence and Worcester Railfan Club and Museum
getting a Coney Dog from Joanne's Coney Express,

Which was alright but nothing special.

The highlight of the night was eating at Ruka, a new Japanese Peruvian restaurant in downtown Boston which will open to the public on Monday, but I was given a chance to check it out firsthand because my friend worked there.


 The decor is pretty grand to say the least.

For drinks, we got a Daiquiri

and the Kuka Mama (tequila ocho reposado, absolut oak, roasted barley, green tea, lemon, club mate),
which were not too bad by me, although a little too sweet for my friends.

For food, which was all for free tonight, we got the Maine Lobster Tiradito (leche de tigre, yuzu kosho, cilantro, miso chips),
the Nantucket Bay Scallop Ceviche (yogurt leche de tigre, pomegranate, candied bulgur, chili oil),
the Ruka Spicy Tuna (Aji Panca mayo, peruvian spiced jicama, asian pear, crispy rice dots),
the Ichiban (spicy hamachi rainbow rolls, tempura crunch, yuzu, passionfruit),
the Tairagai Sashimi (starfruit, kumquat, pen shell clam, coconut lemongrass foam, sansho peppercorn),
the Toro Wasabi (spicy tuna roll, tempura, toro, aji panca, caviar, wasabi relish),
the Fuego Wagyu (A5 Miyazaki Wagyu, bulgogi beef futomaki, scallion, peppers),
the Eggplant Motoyaki (grilled eggplant, miso mayo, okonomiyaki sauce, sesame),
the Sweet Potato Dumplings (trumpet mushrooms, wasabi oil, soft poached egg, barley dashi)
and the Green Noodles (smoked cobia, curly udon, miso dashi butter, basil spinach).
In all honesty, everything was really good. The raw lobster was a delight, while the Thai flavor of the scallops made me wish there was more. The wagyu beef was easily the best dish of the night, although the pen-shell clams with the starfruit came really close as well.The other sushi rolls weren't that special though, as was the eggplant, considering the price. The dumplings were a little on the small side as well, and the green noodles were hard, although the flavors were pretty good.

For dessert, we got the Big Fish (buttered taiyaki waffle, caramelized banana, lucuma ice cream, prickly pear sorbet, chocolate sauce, spicy peanut brittle, peanut butter caramel),
the Suspiro Limeno (dulce de leche, meringue, inca kola cake, key lime cremolada, candied quinoa)

and the Moon Pie (pisco sour marshmallow, alfajoes cookies, bitter chocolate, ganache, lime zest).
The dessert had the awards for the most impressive and the least impressive dishes of the night, the former being the waffle fish that was presented to us, not to mention the complex yet mazing combination of flavors in the dish. The latter had to be none other than the moon pie, was literally was just that. I could have have gotten that anywhere else, seriously.

Overall though, I did enjoy my meal, and I do want to give this place another try because of everything else on the menu I did not get to try. It was great to see my friend doing really well though.

No comments:

Post a Comment