Wednesday, November 15, 2017

November 15th 2017: Back to New Hampshire

I started my day off today back in the town of Lancaster,
Village Church of Seventh Day Adventists
Southern New England Conference of Seventh-day Adventists

for a hike at the Parker Family Woods. The path I took here to get to the water body is shown below in black.

The water body was nothing to look at though.

The Cook Conservation Area was next, where the path I took is shown below in black.

Nice walk by the Nashua River,

with okay views by the powerlines,
though nothing special.

From here, I passed through Shirley
Trinity Chapel Episcopal Church
on the way to Groton,
Boutwell Early Childhood Center
American Legion Post #55
where I went on a hike at the Bertozzi Wildlife Management Area. The path I took here from 731 Townsend Road is shown below in pink.

Nice views of the Squannacook River,
and the swimming hole in this area.

Next, I headed into the town of Pepperell for several hikes there, with my first one at Mount Lebanon, where the path I took from 63 Mt Lebanon Street is shown below in pink.
The water body here was nothing to look at though.

My next hike in town was at the northern end of the Walent Property, where the path I took to get a beautiful view of the Nashua River is shown below in pink.
The views here follow.
My final hike in town was at the Gulf Brook Conservation Area, where the path I took on the Jeff Smith Trail to get to the water body here is shown below in pink.
Unfortunately, there was nothing to see here.

From here, I headed into the town of Brookline NH
Brookline Chapel

to explore the Hobart Fessenden Forest, where the many paths I took to visit several sites within the area are shown below in pink.
First I checked out the Cider Mill Pond area,
hiking to get to Pout Pond,
both of which weren't anything special.

Next, I went in search of the Stone House, which apparently can be accessed from 17 Old Milford Road, but it is actually private property. Thankfully, the owner was nice enough to let me pass through, even lending me an orange outfit to avoid hunters in the area. Taking the path behind his house, I pushed ahead, not knowing what to find as the path became more and more overgrown. Thankfully, I saw the stone formations in front of me, so I bushwhacked my way up to them, finally spotting the supposed house itself, which has inscriptions in the rock from visitors old and new, which really wasn't that impressive after all.
Making my way back from there wasn't much easier, but somehow I made my way back. Finally, I went to Pope Road to find Corey's Hill, which had no views to be had from the top.

With that, I headed into the town of Hollis NH,
Monument Square,
Broad Street and Monument Square
Town Hall, 7 Monument Square
Hollis Social Library
The Congregational Church of Hollis

Rocky Pond
Worcesters Millpond,
Roxky Pond Road, 42.753315, -71.624285
for my final hike of the day in the Merganser Pond area of Beaver Brook. where the path I took along the Old City Trail from Rocky Pond Road is shown below in black.
There was a nice waterfall at the beginning,

but nothing much else along the way.
Apparently there was an overlook of Merganser Pond I missed out on which was on the Hatfield Trail, so I guess I will have to come back here for that.

I also went to visit the Hollis Historical Society, which happened to be open today.

With that, I called it a day for sightseeing, heading back to Massachusetts to the town of Marlborough to get some Brazilian food from Labaredas Brazilian BBQ.
The buffet style food itself was alright, though it had been left out the whole day. Nothing special though.

No comments:

Post a Comment