Wednesday, November 22, 2017

November 22nd 2017: Hiking in the Rain

I started out this morning at the Worcester Technical High School in Worcester,
heading to the back of the school to find the Millstone Trail in the East Side Trail network behind 2 dumpsters. The path I took here to find the water body and the Knob is highlighted below in pink.
Nothing much to see here though.
Next, I went into the towns of Holden
Holden Christian Academy

and Paxton to hike the Asnebumskit Ridge. The paths I took here to visit the Holden and Paxton sections is shown below in pink.

There were no views to be had on the Holden side, and the trail on the Paxton side is actually on private property to reach the water tower, but I risked it anyway.
There is a multitude of side trails here, and I was pretty much lost, just relying on my compass and somehow I found the overlook, which apparently is Thoreau's Seat and separate from the Asnebumskit Ridge. Unfortunately, it was way too foggy this rainy day.
To get back to my car, I had to pass through private property again, passing by the communications towers.
From here, I headed into Princeton to try to look for the trailhead to the Sandstrom-Red Fox Farm area on Worcester Road. Unfortunately, it is currently not developed, so I had to give up after a while.

Next I went to find the Metcalf Prescott Trails in town, and this time I managed to find it at 25 Sterling Road. The trail I took here to get to the beaver pond here is shown below in pink.
There was one spot where I could head down to the pond itself, which was a pretty nice view.
From here, I followed the loop, and somehow came onto an open area on private property, and decided to take the easy way out to the main road, then walk back to my car. Not a bad hike though, with well blazed trails.

From here, I decided to head into Fitchburg,
SS Lobster

getting some lunch at Il Ricordi, an Italian restaurant in town that has a look of a pizza takeout place.
I got the Fettuccine Alfredo (Tossed with creamy Alfredo sauce and parmesan)
and the Baked Eggplant Rollatini (Rolled with ham, ricotta, cheddar and marinara sauce).
The alfredo was just alright, although the marinara was too sour for my liking. Overall, nothing special.

The last place I visited today was the Fitchburg Historical Society in town. They were in the midst of preparing the place for the holidays. Pictures I took here follow.
With that, I called it a day for exploring. I was hoping to reach New Hampshire today, but it was not to be. Next time I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment