Saturday, May 18, 2019

May 18th 2019: Back to Rhode Island

My sightseeing in Rhode Island today started in Glocester RI,
Steeres Pond, 96 John Steere Road
Chepachet Free Will Baptist Church
St. Eugene Catholic Church
New Pond, 126 Vernon Drive
going on a hike at the Steere Hill Conservation Area, where the path I took is shown below in pink.
The stone dam on Stone Dam Trail was alright I guess,
while the view from the top of Steere Hill was semi-good.
Shepard's Hut on the Inner Trail was nothing special either. Overall, just an alright place to hike at. At the end of my hike, an old lady walking her dog happened to be getting into her car, and she offered to give me a ride back to my car, which I happily obliged. Definitely a long distance I would have had to walk otherwise.

Next, I did 2 more hikes in the town of Smithfield, revisiting the Ken Weber Conservation Area to try to catch the waterfall on Cascade Brook, which was totally dry the last time I was here. Thankfully, due to the rain yesterday, the waterfall was beautiful.
The other hike in town was at the Powder Mill Ledges Wildlife Refuge, where the path I took is shown below in pink.

The view of the pond here was pretty non-existent though.
From here, it was on to Johnston RI,
Brown Avenue Elementary School
Oak Swamp Reservoir
Trinity Assembly of God
Municipal Court
Town Hall, 1385 Hartford Avenue
St. Rocco's Church
St. Brigid's Catholic Church,
1231 Plainfield Street

where I went on a hike at Snake Den State Park. The rough path I took here from 142 Brown Avenue is shown below in pink.
The view from the top of the hill I went to was pretty amazing, but really hard to find because of all the side trails.

Thankfully I had the stream to guide me as to whether I was on the wrong side of it or not.

Next, I went on another hike at Snake Den Farm, which is also the location of Wicked Tulips Flower Farm, which unfortunately just closed for the season. Walking to the back of the area, I was able to see what was a few days ago the tulip fields.
Pretty, but a little too spaced out in my opinion to be true field of tulips even at its best for pictures. And to have to pay for entry? I might not consider coming to visit next year.

As for the hike it, the water body itself was nothing much to look at.
Next, the Johnston War Memorial Park area,
going for a hike at the Johnston Town Forest right across the road at 20 Memorial Avenue, where the rough path I took is shown below in pink.
The ponds here were just alright though,
Definitely nothing compared to the park next door.

From here, it was on to Providence,
Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church
Achievement First Providence Mayoral Academy
Merino Park
Riverside Park
Old St. Theresa's Church,
269 Manton Avenue
The King's Cathedral
Church of the Master
St. Mary's Catholic Church
West Broadway Middle School
Saint Vartanantz Armenian Apostolic Church
Dexter Training Ground
Providence Hmong Church
Cranston Street Armory
St. Charle's Catholic Church
Ebenezer Baptist Church
Wat Thormikaram of Rhode Island
Southside Cultural Center of Rhode Island
Jacqueline Clements Park,
333 Dudley Street
Beacon Avenue Church of God
244 Weybosset Street
Robert E Freeman Memorial Park,
311 Westminster Street
Old Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church,
12 Spruce Street
Garibaldi Square, 99 Atwells Avenue

where I went on my last hike for the day at Neutacokanut Hill Park. The path I took here is shown below in pink.

The park itself was just alright,

and King Pond was nothing to look at.
Fearing that this hike was going to be another waste of time, I ventured to the first vista, which wasn't that great either.
Passing along the Pinnacle Boardwalk,
the disintegrating Cadillacs
and the King Monument,
I finally reached my first decent view at the Meadow area

although the view from the top of the old ski slope of downtown Providence was even better.
Definitely the best hike of the day after all.

While in town, I grabbed bites from various restaurants in town, getting from Mi Porcion Restaurant (Latin American)
a delicious container of soup,
a pretty good Beef Pastel


and finally a bland Egg Sandwich (toasted bread, egg white omelet with mushrooms, spinach, yogurt sauce and smoked paprika)
from Yoleni's, a Greek retaurant with a grocery section as well. Given the good reviews and the nice ambience,
I will probably be back here some day for their dinner fare.

With that, I called it a day for sightseeing in Rhode Island, heading to Framingham for dinner with my other half at Bawarchi Biryanis, an Indian restaurant which specializes in biryani.
Naturally, we got the Boneless Goat Biryani (Hyderabadi offering of meat/vegetables marinated in herbs and spices is layered with long grain basmati rice and steamed to perfection in a tightly sealed, heavy-bottomed dish. Served with Raitha (yogurt dip) and Mirchi ka Salan),
which was very big in portion for the price, tasty and went really well with the accompanying sauces as well. Definitely the best biryani I have had to date. No wonder they have another location in Chelmsford.

This place is also attached to a grocery store, Spices Hut Indian Groceries, which we decided to check out as well.
Smaller than Patel Brothers in Shrewsbury.

No comments:

Post a Comment