Thursday, July 18, 2013

July 18th 2013: The Obon Lantern Festival in Boston

Today after work, there was a Japanese Obon Lantern Festival going on at the Forest Hills Cemetery in the Jamaica Plain area of Boston, so I decided to organize a meetup event to go see it. I left work a little early to check out the scene, passing by the Robert T Lynch Municipal Golf Course along the way.
I found a beautiful cemetery where the event was to be held. Pictures of the architecture here that I saw as I made my way to Lake Hibiscus, where the event was to be held, follow.
When I got to my destination, there was hardly anyone around and things were just getting set up, so I took  the opportunity to take a few pictures of the stage

and the small lake.
I then proceeded to see how to get a lantern of my own.
This involved getting a sheet of wax paper from the counter, with a recommended donation of $10. I then headed over to the calligraphy counter to have the Chinese character for love written on my lantern by cute girls in kimonos.
After that, I went to get my lantern stand to complete my lantern.

I went back to the designated spot for the group, by the lake and in front of the main stage and used my lantern to stake a place.
Soon, everyone else arrived, and the program started, with a few American bands which seemed a little out of place at this festival,

and then a Chinese lion dance troupe.
Next came a group of Japanese girls from the Showa Women's Institute performing a Japanese agricultural dance.
Finally, a performance by a group of Taiko drummers.
The exciting part of the night was to come. We had to get our lanterns lighted, and thankfully there was a nice man by the lake who had a lighter, and he was willing to relight our lanterns even after the wind blew out our candles.

With my lantern in the water, I started taking pictures of the other lanterns out on the water.

Mine kept getting blown to the shore by the wind, and then I lost sight of it as I did not put any specific markings on it. Wish I had done so.
Finally, we decided to leave the event, and head to JP Seafood Cafe, an okay Japanese restaurant nearby for a late dinner.

I decided to get the Vegetable Korokes (Deep Fried Japanese-style Vegetable Croquettes) for appetizers,

and the Phil's JP Blues Maki (Tobiko, Mayo and Crabmeat Maki Covered with Salmon, Tuna and White Fish),

while my friends got the Beef Bi Bim Bop and other dishes.
Overall, not too bad, but nothing too amazing.

I have to say, lighting and releasing the lanterns was a pretty fun experience, especially with friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment