Friday, July 26, 2013

July 26th 2013: Watching Shakespeare on the Common, Boston

Today after  work, I decided to head into Boston to check out Shakespeare on the Common, a free performance of a Shakespearean play performed at the gazebo on the Boston Common. This year they were performing "The Two Gentlemen of Verona". I arrived a little early, so I decided to use my Groupon at Mojito's, a Mexican style lounge located near the Boston Common. When I arrived, I almost could not locate it, as it is situated in a seedy looking grocery like set of Mexican stores, and even then I had to know to head up the stairs to enter the place. The place was a little small, having a tiny dance floor, and not much more room for sitting.

The lighting decor was pretty interesting though, with a huge chandelier above the dance floor.

 The establishment has a tapas menu for food, from which I got the Lobster Sliders (lobster in 2 slider buns with special sauce),

the Baked Avocado (Avocado baked with shallots, creme fraiche and cabrales cheese)

and the Pinchos de Carne  (mildly spicy beef skewers served with fresh greens, english cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, radishes).
The presentation of all the dishes was pretty good, although the skewers and the avocado were a little sour. Thankfully, the lobster was pretty good.  I headed to the gazebo to check if the performance would be canceled because of the ongoing drizzle, and was told that a decision would be made closer to the start time.


As I still had some time to spare, so I decided to take this opportunity to try the lamb Skewers from the Wow Barbecue food truck which was parked by the China Trade Center on 2 Boylston Street.

I decided to get one of each of what they offered, getting a Spicy Lamb Skewer, a Quail Egg Skewer, a Tofu Skewer, and a Cabbage Skewer.

The tofu and cabbage were pretty much tasteless, and the cumin powder wasn't very well distributed either. The quail eggs were a little under cooked as well. Only the lamb was decent, although it was a little dry and hard. Overall, a little disappointed with this Chinese food truck.

Heading back to the temporary stage set up near the gazebo, it was still drizzling, and my fears that the performance would get canceled. Thankfully, the first sign that this would not be the case came in the form of a rainbow.

 After a while more of waiting,  the announcement finally came that the show would go on. My perseverence  paid off tonight I guess. The show was pretty good, although I had to stand all night. Pictures I took of the performance are shown below.


As I was feeling really cold, I decided to grab a bite and a cup of something hot to drink nearby, at Black Seed Cafe, a small deli. After looking at the menu, I decided to get an Artichoke Chicken Wrap (Grilled Chicken, Avocado, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Cheddar Cheese and Ranch dressing) together with a small cup of hot chocolate.

The hot chocolate was definitely a relief to my cold system, but the wrap was extremely tasteless to say the least. Definitely not coming back here again. The show ended soon after I got back to the stage area, with a happy ending of course, although if I were  Julia, I would never have forgiven Proteus for falling for Sylvia and foresaking me. Such is love. With that, I headed to my friend's place to stay over for the night. Looking forward to making a pendant tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment