Wednesday, September 18, 2013

September 18th 2013: Dinner at Tu Y Yo, Somerville

Today after work, I met up with my friend for dinner at Tu Y Yo, a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant located at 858 Broadway in the city of Somerville near Tufts University. The interestingly designed menu yielded interesting food that I definitely needed to try, and we ordered all of them, namely the Tacos De Chapulines (Six deep fried mini tacos stuffed with grasshoppers and served with avocado sauce), 

the Longaniza (Mexican sausage served with sides of onions, cilantro, slices of limes, tortillas, red & green sauces),

the Quesadilla (Small corn flour turnover filled with cheese and cuitlacoche (corn's black mushroom)),

the Nopales Con Cerdo (Chopped pork tenderloin sauteed with fresh cactus in a sauce made out of green tomatoes, vinegar, ancho, mulato and pasilla peppers)

and the Chile Relleno En Nogada (Poblano pepper stuffed with ground beef, almonds, raisins, peaches and cheese, covered in a sweet creamy sauce with pomegranate and cilantro on top).

The grasshopper tacos were the most exotic dish in house, and though it looked just like spring rolls, it was the inside that was exciting, and here's the proof that I ate grasshoppers.
They actually taste really good, crispy like fried anchovies. To be honest, I was a little apprehensive at first, fearing that their legs would pierce the walls of my esophagus, but I ended up finishing all the tacos while my friend only dared to try one. 

The sausage was pretty good too, especially when wrapped in the tacos that came with it, although we had expected hot dogs instead of ground beef.

The quesadilla was disappointingly bland though, although it was cool to eat the fungus that usually grows on corn.
Sadly, I had to find out that cactus is really bitter, and as my friend ordered the dish, he had to bear the brunt of eating all of it, which was really bitter.

Thankfully, the Chile Relleno dish that I ordered was really delicious, due to the sauce and the pomegranate seeds. In fact, it is the best Chile Relleno dish I have had to date.

Overall, I highly recommend this plate, because of the unique food on the menu, the authenticity of the food, and it actually is pretty good while being cheap as well, although the grasshoppers were a little on the pricy side.

No comments:

Post a Comment