Saturday, September 21, 2013

September 21st 2013: Doing Anna's Walqueria

Today, I had an appointment with my friend to do the Anna's Walqueria, hosted by the Anna's Taqueria chain of Mexican fast food outlets to raise money for the Home for Little Wanderers, in which people walk from one Taqueria branch to the next, reaching all 6 branches, getting free food or drink at each branch.

I arrived in the area really early to find a parking spot, so I decided to head to the Galley Diner at 11 P Street in South Boston for breakfast first. This small, dingy looking diner provided me with the Southie Omelette (Hash and Cheese) for breakfast, which was just alright I guess, with the potatoes not being very appetizing and soft.

From here, I went to the seaside to explore the beautiful M Street Beach,
and the L Street Beach, a private beach adjacent to the M Street Beach,

owned by the Curley Community Center.
Other places I visited before taking the train to Brookline follow.
Reverend Joseph E Laporte,
L Street and William J Day Boulevard
South Baptist Church, 80 L Street
When I finally reached the Anna's Taqueria branch at 1412 Beacon Street in Brookline, I was still early, so I waited a little before donating all the change I got in my wallet to the event, and getting my card that would be marked off as I went to all 6 branches.

There was also a free breakfast burrito to be gotten here. It was just alright though, especially because I had just eaten a heavy breakfast.

Soon after my friends arrived and registered, the owner of the chain came and started the walk officially.

Our next stop was the branch near the Massachusetts General Hospital in the West End area of Boston, where I got to try their watermelon juice and their Horchata, both of which were pretty good.

From here, we headed to the MIT branch, located inside the Stratton Center at 84 Massachusetts Avenue. Here, we had a choice between the El Paso Taco and the Cheese Taco. I went with the El Paso Taco because it sounded more interesting than the vegetarian option, and it turned out to be better as well, as I got to taste the Cheese taco from my friend.

Next up on the list was the Porter Square location at 822 Somerville Avenue which was a pretty long walk away, where we got free Nacho Chips.

The Davis Square location wasn't that far away at 236 Elm Street, and I got a Hibiscus Tea here.

The final stop was back in Brookline at 446 Harvard Street, which was the longest stretch, but somehow we managed to make it back, and get our Beef Burrito as our reward.

Unfortunately, the day was still not over for me, as I had to go get my car and do some food truck stuff. When i was finally done for the day, I decided to head to dinner at Quincy Dynasty, a decent looking Chinese restaurant in Quincy.

Unfortunately my cameras were out of battery, so I had to use my worst camera to take the pictures of the food I got, namely the Fried Curry Beef Wontons,

the Seafood Udon in Satay Sauce,

and the Yuen Yang Spicy Beef (string beans topped with sliced beef in chef's special sauce), so forgive the poor picture quality.

The wontons were just so so, with hardly any spice in them, and the same could be said for the udon as well. Only the beef was good enough to be worth mentioning, and I ate so much of them forgetting there were string beans below. After all the eating I had done today though, I had to take home the leftovers.

Unfortunately, that was when the bad stuff happened. I busted my tire in the South End of Boston, and as my car was only fitted with a tire repair kit and not a spare tire, I was forced to ask for 24-hour roadside assistance, and after trying to use the kit and failing at it, they had to tow the car to the towyard nearby. To make matters worse, while they were releasing my car into the yard, their hooks accidentlly punctured my oil pan and caused oil to leak out all over the floor. Thankfully, I spotted the puddle and alerted them to it. They said they would pay for the replacement, but it might be some time before the car was up and running again, especially because the shops are closed on Sundays (tomorrow). With little choice, I was forced to ask my friend to come pick me up, and I had to stay over at his place, as we had food truck stuff to do tomorrow.

Oh what luck, and I have to pick my mom up from the airport on Monday. Looks like I might need to rent a car that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment