Sunday, January 12, 2014

January 12th 2014: Spending Time with a Friend in Cambridge

Today, I was to meet up with a friend I have not seen for a while in Cambridge. Before that, I decided to do some hiking in the town of Boxborough, at the Beaver Valley Preserve. The path I took here to try to find Muddy Pond is shown below in pink.

The paths were pretty icy, and the road was long, so I took a while before finally reaching my destination, although there was only partial views of it through the trees at the top of the esker.

On the way back, I took a few pictures of the wetlands in the area.


From here, it was on to the town of Acton,
Ice House Pond, 131 Concord Road
Lake Nagog, 558 Great Road
before it was finally time to head to my friend's place. She cooked us a pretty healthy meal of eggplant curry which was really good, and then we played Chinese checkers, which thankfully I won the second time around. after the games, we headed to the Apple Cinemas nearby to watch the movie "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty", which is based on a short story about a man with a boring life who daydreams of an adventurous life. I didn't think that it had much plot though, a little overrated to say the least. The cinema itself was pretty run down as well, although it meant that we got to watch the movie for less than 15 bucks for 2 people.

After the movie, I dropped my friend off, and headed to Belle Isle Seafood, a seafood place in the town of Winthrop, for dinner with another group of friends. Apparently it is pretty famous, having been on TV several times. I didn't think too much of it though, as it looked more like a dive bar.
They have an interesting alarm for food orders though, coming in the form of a lobster.



The food didn't seem very extraordinary as well, being battered fried seafood. We got several Lobster Meat Rolls,

a Clam Chowder,

the Fried Seafood Combo and Fried Clams. 

I have to say, the soup and the lobster rolls were pretty good, and the seafood was fresh as well. But then again, most seafood places in town serve the same sort of stuff anyway.

After the meal, my friends decided to check out the new Shake Shack which just opened up in Havard Square in Cambridge this year. The one in Natick is always filled with people, but this one was strangely empty. The malted Strawberry Shake I got was still pretty good though.

With that, we finalyl decided to call it a day, as we all had work tomorrow. It was a great day of spending time with friends, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment