Friday, January 31, 2014

January 31st 2014: Enjoying a Lunar New Year Concert in Boston

The last time I played badminton, I almost got chased out because the soles of my shoes were dark-colored, though not black which is absolutely forbidden, so today I decided once and for all to get a grey-soled pair instead from Dick's Sporting Goods during my lunch break so that I would not have this problem any more. At the same time, I wanted to check out Shaker's Cafe and Restaurant, a breakfast place in Worcester that my friend had recommended to me a while ago, but apparently it is closed until next Tuesday. I decided to check out the deli next door, Dooci's Deli, instead. This place is more like a grocery shop, with a small menu like that at a pizzeria or a hot dog place. I decided to get the Pastrami Sub

and a Lemon Square,

both of which were actually pretty good and filling.

I left work a little early to have dinner with my friends at Pad Thai Cafe, a Thai retaurant in the Back Bay area of Boston, before we were to head for a Lunar New Year concert, held by the Berklee College of Music at the Berklee Performance Center nearby. This place is more like a cafe than a restaurant, where orders have to be placed up front at the counter, with your number being called out when the food is ready. I decided to get the Ba Mee Song Kruang (Egg noodle with roast pork, fish ball, crispy wonton, Chinese broccoli and bean sprouts), which reminded me of noodles I love to have back home. 

My friends got the Thai Noodle Soup,

the Kao Moo Dang (Roast pork, crispy pork and Chinese pork sausage with boiled egg, cucumbers, cilantro and sweet sauce),

the Ground Chicken Ka Prao (Thai Style hot basil),

and even a side of Golden Wings (Marinated chicken wings fried until crispy brown, Served with a sweet chili sauce).

Of the dishes, only the chicken wings were just so-so, while the rest of the dishes were actually not too bad.

However, the cafeteria style of the place would deter me from this place with better restaurants elsewhere.

We were not allowed to take any pictures during the concert however,

although I have to say it was definitely worth the $16 we paid for it. I hadn't expected much out of a college performance, but there was a great variety of songs performed, and the performers were all pretty good, even the heavy metal band which had a screaming lady as its singer. Overall, another fun night hanging out with friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment