Saturday, February 1, 2014

February 1st 2014: Badminton and Karaoke, Round 2

One would hardly want to do the exact same things 2 Saturdays in a row, but it happened to me today. Just like last week, today started off with me heading to a breakfast place in Waltham, this time In a Pickle, which apparently is the #1 brunch place in town, and it was already full of people when I arrived. Thankfully, there was a space at the bar for my lone self, so I did not have to wait at all to get breakfast.

After looking at the menu, I decided to get the Eggs in a Basket (Two pieces of thick Texas toast hollowed out and fried on the grill with farm fresh eggs in the middle and cooked to a golden brown with melted American cheese draped over the top, with Black Forest Ham and Home Fries on the side). 

It was interesting to say in the least, although my mistake was choosing not to pour maple syrup all over my plate, which would definitely have made the salty dish much better in my opinion. Overall though, this place is definitely the best brunch place in Waltham to date.

Badminton was fun as always, and lunch again at Mulan. This time,

we only got 2 new dishes, having half a House Duck,

and the Milkfish Maw with Black Bean Sauce.
The duck was the only disappointing dish I have had to date, it not being crispy enough. The fish was interesting, and the maw reminded me of the salmon belly I had at Ittoku Izakaya in Boston, although it was less oily, which meant the salmon was better.

After lunch, a few of us stayed behind to get a bit of ice cream from Lizzy's nearby, which I have been to once in the past. This time, I noticed the interesting looking cakes they had in the display case,

and I decided to get the Red Velvet (classic red velvet cake with cream cheese filling and frosting, garnished with red and white chocolate ornament), which had a pretty appealing presentation and tasted fantastic as well.

My friends got ice cream
 as well as the Trois Chocolate (Fudge Cake, Dark, Milk and White Chocolate Mousse layers)

and the Apple Crisp (Warmed and topped with a scoop of ice cream and caramel).

Pretty good stuff I have to say for an ice cream place.

I had a meetup event for karaoke tonight, so after bidding my friends adieu, I decided to use the rest of the daylight hours to finish sightseeing in the town of Winthrop, visiting a few parks and beaches with beautiful views of the sea.
Ingleside Park,
Brookfield Road and Lincoln Street
Woodside Park,
End of Woodside Park
Pico Beach, End of Pico Avenue


Fort Heath/Small Park
With the sun set for good, I went to pick up my friend and head to the meetup dinner at Regina Pizzeria in the Allston area of Boston. Several people were already there at the bar restaurant when we finally arrived, so it wasn't long before we ordered our food, made of 2 Antipasto Platters (pepperoni, prosciutto, salami, provolone, marinated artichoke hearts, pepperoncini peppers and assortment of marinated vegetables)

and 4 pizzas, namely the Giambotta (Pepperoni, Regina sausage, salami, mushrooms, peppers, onions and Mozzarella cheese),

the Napoletana Pizza (Old World Style, pizza sauce complimented by anchovy fillets and capers, Pecorino Romano cheese, fresh garlic spiced with oregano, fresh cracked black pepper and sprinkled with fresh basil),

the Prosciutto Con Spinaci (Combination of Regina sauce and Ricotta cheese, fresh spinach, prosciutto, cherry tomatoes and Mozzarella cheese. Accented with Romano cheese and fresh basil) 

and the Meatball Pomodoro Fresco (Marinated tomatoes, Regina meatballs, Mozzarella, Romano, and Parmesan cheese. Regina's garlic sauce and fresh basil).
The pizzas were all pretty good, although it was hard to try everything with so few slices shared among so many people, so I ended up just trying small portions of most of the pizzas. Definitely one of the better pizzas I have had, although Crazy Dough's is still better.

The restaurant itself was just a few minutes walk from the karaoke place, DoReMi. My friend and I originally thought that we would not be able to last 3 hours singing, but we ended up having a backlog of over 2 hours of songs by the time 3 hours came to an end. Needless to say, we all had a really fun time, and it was the first time we had musical songs, Korean, Chinese and even Vietnamese songs all within the same session. Way better than Limelight was last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment