Wednesday, November 14, 2012

November 14th 2012: Exploring the Boston Logan Airport

Today after work, my colleague was kind enough to bring me to the Boston Logan Airport, where I was to embark on my 2 week trip back home to Singapore. I was hoping to be able to check in my large luggage bag, but according to the airline people there, they cannot accept bags until 4 hours prior to departure, which would only be at 5.30 am tomorrow morning. To make matters worse, the people would only be arriving to work at 3 something tomorrow morning. With that, my plans to head back out to Boston for dinner were smashed immediately.

I had little choice but to stay at the airport for the rest of the night, but I was determined to not let the night go to waste. Instead, I resolved to explore the entire airport, except for the areas where I would need to be body searched in order to enter.

First up, dinner. I decided to have it at Currito: Burritos without Borders, located in the food court at Terminal C. I decided to go for the Beef Cajun Burrito, which comes with cajun spices, black beans, roasted corn salsa, sour cream and rice. It was actually really good, for a fast food kind of place.

After dinner, I started my tour of the airport. First, Teminal C, where I was to depart from Boston. I did not know that there was an underground chapel, Our Lady of the Airways Chapel, here.
Terminal C
Dick and Rick Hoyt
Our Lady of the Airways Chapel



Giant Dunkin Donuts Cup 

Next, I headed toward Terminal E, the terminal for international flights.



On the way to Terminal E

At Terminal E, there were some interesting setups, including Design Museum Boston, the grand opening of which is actually tomorrow morning when I am already in the air, showcasing air transportation fashion, and several projections of the world throughout various eras, including the modern homolographic projection of the world.

Baggage Claim
Interesting Ball rolling setup





Design Museum Boston


Terminal E

Entrance to Secured area

World Projections throughout the ages
Gnomonic Projection
Sinusoidal Projection




Octant Projection
Icosahedron Gnomonic Projection










Next it was on to the Hilton Boston Logan Airport hotel, which is linked to the terminals by a long series of walkways.
On the way to the hotel
Terminal C at night
Floor Decor




I emerged onto the second floor of the hotel, then headed down to the ground floor, lugging my huge luggage bag behind me.
Entering the hotel



On the ground floor

Hotel view from the outside
Feeling hungry and tired by now, I decided to check out the hotel bar restaurant, Connolly's Publik House. Thankfully, their kitchen had not yet closed for the night, so I was able to order their Sweet Pea Ravioli, which came with sauteed carrots and ricotta, looking very green on the whole.
However, the pasta itself was hard, and the sauce not very tasty. Not a good experience at all, especially for a tired traveller.

After my disappointing meal, I headed off to Terminal A, where there were nice paintings on the walls.
At Terminal A











There was nothing much to see at Terminal B though.
At Terminal B
It was at this point that I realized that there were signs for a 911 memorial, and apparently it was where the Hilton was located, but somehow I missed it while I was there, so I decided to head all the way back there to locate it and take pictures of it on Terminal Drive, out in the freezing cold.











With that, I was done with my tour of the airport. I tried to use the hotel internet, but I was soon chased out by hotel security for not being a patron there. Thankfully, it was already 2 in the morning, so I made my way back to Terminal C slowly to wait for the United Airlines people to arrive so I could finally check in my heavy bag. Unfortunately, they only arrived at 4am, so the wait was that much longer, but thankfully everything else went without a hitch, and I was soon on board my plane to Washington DC, where I could finally have a quick nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment