Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12th 2013: Freezing at the Frost Ice Bar, Boston

Today after work, I finally decided to check out the Frost Ice Bar in the Faneuil Hall area of Boston, the only bar/place in town where the temperature inside is almost always colder than outside, and everything is made of ice, including the drink glasses. Before that, I went with my friend for dinner at the Stockyard Restaurant, a steakhouse in the Brighton area of town.

This place is pretty big, with really cool Christmas decor and ambience, a mix between a bar and a steakhouse.

For food, we got a lot, to say the least. For appetizers, we got the Tuna Tartare (avocado, cucumber, chili vinaigrette, taro chips),

and for our main courses, my friend got the Bone-In Ribeye (22oz char grilled),

while I got the Shrimp and Scallop Capone (sun-dried tomato, roasted garlic, broccoli, asparagus, sherry cream, fettuccine),

with sides of sauteed spinach, mashed potatoes

and corn souffle.
The tuna was pretty good in my opinion, the oil at the bottom going pretty well with the tuna flavor, although my friend did not think it was that great, saying it was bland. We did enjoy our entrees though, especially my pasta. The corn souffle was interestingly good as well, together with the other sides too. Overall, a pretty good dining experience. A place I would come back to in future.

From here, we headed to the Frost Ice Bar. With my Livingsocial deal, we headed straight up to the third floor, where we were able to get into the bar immediately as there wasn't much people inside tonight, after putting on purple overcoats over our winter clothing. The interior was pretty nice though, with everything being made of ice, although I was still considering whether it might be made of plastic instead.


This place only serves alcoholic drinks, and the "glasses" themselves are made out of ice, so one has to hold the glass with both hands in order to prevent the drink from slipping out of one's hands.

My friend decided to get the The Old North Ender (Reyka Vodka, Lemon Sorbet, Westport Rivers Sparkling Wine, Pallini Limoncello), while I got the Griswold (Old Ipswich Golden Marsh Spiced Rum, GTV Coconut Vodka, Licor 43, Pineapple and Cranberry Juices).

Not being an avid alcohol drinker, I did not like either drink as there was too much alcohol taste in it. I had to give most of it to my friend in the end. However, I have to say that being in this bar is definitely an interesting experience. I recommend checking it out at least once, even if you don't drink.


With that, we were about to head back to our car when my friend realized she had lost our parking ticket, and out of fear that we would have to pay nearly a hundred bucks just to be able to get out of the parking lot, we went all the way back to the bar to try to find it, but to no avail. In the end, it turned out that she had forgot to check one of her hidden pockets in her coat, and the ticket had been there all along! I had given her the ticket earlier thinking that I was the forgetful one and would lose it, and it turns out she was forgetful too. I think I shall just keep the ticket in my car the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment