Sunday, December 15, 2013

December 15th 2013: Sightseeing After the Snowstorm

Because of the snowstorm last night, I took my time at home before heading out to the town of Medfield to start my sightseeing there. After viewing Jewell's Pond on Foundry Street and Nebo Street,

I headed to the old Medfield State Hospital,

where the land was covered in snow

and people were even sledding on a nearby slope.

The main building of the hospital was pretty nice.


From here, I passed through Walpole
Old Plimpton School, 319 Common Street
on my way to Canton, where I decided to grab some lunch at Carter's Sports Grill,  a bar restaurant that has taken the place of the former Junction Bar and Grille. The place looks pretty much the same as before, and as empty as well, although probably due to the crappy roads and the cold weather outside.

For food, I decided to get the Homemade Loaded Potato Skins (potato halves baked and loaded with bacon and cheese)

and the Mixed Grill (turkey tips, steak tips, pork chops, served with mashed potatoes and broccoli).
The potato skins were just alright, but the Mixed Grill was actually surprisingly good. The turkey and the pork were actually not dry and pretty tender, while the steak tips were excellent as well. Not bad for a bar restaurant. It could be better though.

From here, I checked out a few water bodies in town
Reservoir Pond, 110 Pleasant Street
Silk Mill Pond,
Old Shepard Street and Messinger Street
Shepard Pond,
221 Washington Street
Forge Pond, 618 Washington Street
before heading to Milton
Hemenway Pond, 1163 Blue Hill Avenue
Pope's Pond, End of Lafayette Street
on my way to Quincy. There, I checked out a few places
Wollaston Congregational Church
Old St. Catherine Greek Orthodox Church,
Beale Street and Farrington Street
First Baptist Church of Wollaston

Central Middle School
before finally heading to dinner at Sher-A-Punjab, an Indian restaurant in downtown Quincy. As it was still early, there wasn't much people in the restaurant.
With a groupon in hand, I decided to get the Mango Lassi for a drink,

the Dahi Puri (Semolina puffs filled with spiced chickpeas, potatoes and mint chutney soup)

for appetizers, the Kerala Fish Curry (Spiced tilapia cooked in a red chili curry)

along with the Naan Apricot Date (Unleaved, handmade bread stuffed with fresh appricot and date) for my meal,

and finally the Ras Malai (Fresh homemade cheese patties, cooked in a milk syrup, almonds and nuts) for dessert.

Of all the dishes, I was only disappointed in the dessert, which had more of a chalky feel than a smooth one. The Dahi Puri was especially interesting in taste, considering I did not even know what to expect when it came out.

With that, a short day of sightseeing after the snowstorm came to an end. Not too bad, considering I started out only after 10 this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment