Sunday, January 19, 2014

January 19th 2014: Exploring the Town of Saugus

After a late night last night, I woke up a little later today. I had a meetup brunch to go to at Ryle's Jazz Club in Cambridge, so I decided to visit the towns of Lincoln,
Council on Aging
Somerville
Veterans Memorial Cemetery, 1330 Broadway
and Winthrop
Donovan Beach, Brookfield Road and Pleasant Street

before finally heading back into Cambridge.

The band was already playing when I arrived at the bar restaurant, and they were pretty good.

The Parisian French Toast (filled with Brie, Fig Preserves, with bacon and fresh fruit on side) I got was amazing as well.

The fig jam went so well with the cheese and the toast. Simply heavenly. It was made even better when the band played "Isn't She Lovely", originally by Stevie Wonder. After a great brunch, it was back to sightseeing, this time in the town of Saugus.
Family United Methodist Church
Cliftondale Congregational Church
Marleah E Graves Building
St. Margaret's Church
Veteran's Memorial Elementary School
WWII Memorial, Winter Street and Central Street
War Memorial, Main Street and Central Street
First Congregational Church
Town Hall
St. John's Episcopal Church
Pilgrims Church of Boston
Blessed Sacrament Church
Grace Ministries North Shore
First Baptist Church
Hawke's Pond, Walnut Street and Gianna Drive
Walden Pond, Walden Pond Avenue and Walden Terrace
Birch Pond, 315 Walnut Street
Griswold Pond, 117 Sweetwater Street
2nd Lake, 10 Lake Dam Road
Spring Pond, 59 Lake Dam Road
Vitale Park

Other than the town center area,

The most interesting part about this town is the restaurants that line Route 1, called the "Restaurant Row".

There is Kowloon Restaurant, a pretty massive and upscale Chinese restaurant named the largest Chinese dining complex in America, 

with really nice decor both inside and outside.
There is Kelly's Roast Beef, which has carousel horses,

marine fish tanks 

and even a scary clown face that used to be from an old carousel on Revere Beach.

Other interesting things to see here include a giant cactus outside the now defunct Hilltop Steakhouse,

an orange dinosaur located inside Route 1 Miniature Golf,

the "Leaning Tower of Pizza" at Prince Pizzeria,

and the old Jin Asian Cuisine restaurant at 20 Bennett Highway, modeled after the Forbidden City and set on top of a hill.


I definitely do want to go back and try out the food at these restaurants some day.

I then headed into Malden, passing by the North Shore Assembly of God along the way,

to get some pizza takeout from Catalina's Pizza, getting a California Pizza (Eggplant, sun-dried tomatoes, broccoli and artichoke hearts), which wasn't really that great at all.

I think I need to stop getting sun dried tomatoes on my pizza.

It was at this point that I realized that I had an appointment for dinner with friends at Trattoria di Monica, an Italian restaurant in the North End area of Boston. I had missed out on eating here a week ago, so I decided to take my friends here to make up for that.

This place, like most other Italian restaurants in the area, is pretty small, though nicely decorated, so I was glad I had made a reservation beforehand.

For appetizers, we got the Conchiegle (Little Neck Clams, chorizo sausage, fresh tomato),

and my friends both got the Fettucine con Pollo Marsala (Sauteed chicken with mushrooms, red onions and prosciutto in a Marsala wine sauce over fettuccine)

while I got the Gnocchi di Spinaci al Ragu di Maiale (Spinach and ricotta gnocchi in a braised pork ragout).

The chorizo was a little too strong in flavor in my opinion, while my gnocchi was just so-so. The marsala wasn't too bad, although it felt a little simplistic to me. Overall, with all the good Italian restaurants in the area, I won't put this one high on my list.

After dinner, it was time for dessert, where my friends wanted to go to Finale in Cambridge. Like the past few times I was here, they decided to get the 9-Piece Dessert Sampler,

as well as a bottle of Genesis Riesling 2011 wine.
The dessert was good as always, and I made a fool of myself eating the desserts my friends did not like in one big bite.

Unfortunately, all of us had to get up early tomorrow, so we had to call an end to the night early.

I had a pretty fun weekend to say the least. Hope it will be the same next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment