Sunday, December 11, 2011

December 11th 2011: Plainville and Foxborough

I had a lunch meetup event today, so I decided to start on the southwestern Sixth Circle by heading to the town of Plainville. I entered this town soon after passing by the Wrentham Village Premium Outlets, and did my rounds of the various places in town.
St. Martha Church
Plainville Public Library









United Methodist Church

Anne Ware Jackson School
Telford Park, ~142 South Street











The last place I visited in Plainville, which did not have much else otherwise, was the Turnpike Lake, with good views found along Shepard Street.





From here it was on to the town of Foxborough. My first place of visit was the Normandy Farms Campground. This place is actually pretty nice for a camping area, with lots of recreational facilities. Pictures follow.




The next place I went to was the Cocasset River Recreation Area. This place is also known as Camp St. Augustine, and is another camping area in Foxborough, with a beach on the Cocassett River Pond.
Cocasett River Park
Cocasett River Recreational Area


From here, I visited several other areas including a leisure park area, Funway USA, with mini-golf and go-karting, open in the summer months, before heading to the town common area on Cocasset Street and South Street.

Lutheran Church of Our Redeemer


St. Mark's Episcopal Church
River Community Church


St. Mary's Church
Old Foxborough State Hospital,
16 Chestnut Street
Foxborough Fire Department












Funway USA



Mini-golf area




Go-karting area

The town common is a nice small park with many memorials on it, and many historical buildings surrounding it as well, including the reservoir structure on Powder House Hill behind the Town Hall.
Foxborough Town Hall
Memorial Hall

Reservoir on Powder House Hill,
~40 South Street




The Nativity on the Town Common




Bethany Congregational Church
Fire Station, 40 School Street
Orpheum Theater






The last place I went to was the Upper Reservoir area at the Harold B. Clark Town Forest, the parking found at the end of Forest Road. The route I took on the map for the F. Gilbert Hills State Forest is shown below.
There were several good views of the pond from various points along the trail, shown below.






From here, I decided it was time to head into Boston for my meetup event. I was supposed to head to Winsor Dim Sum Cafe on 10 Tyler Street in Boston, but my GPS listed two places at the same address, but with different postal code. I ended up choosing the wrong one, ending up in Milton instead, and when I finally realized my mistake and went to the correct place, I was already 40 minutes late, and everyone had eaten their fill. Angry with myself for that mistake, and not willing to eat at McDonald's instead, I decided to find a nice restaurant nearby instead. However, my phone was out of battery, so I could not use Yelp to find a restaurant. Luckily, I passed by the Dumpling Cafe, and I saw that there were several news articles about it, so I decided to try out the small cafe. I had no idea what to order, so I went for the pork soup dumplings with crabmeat, and the Taiwanese Stye Wonton Noodles, which were both pretty good.
Soup Dumplings
Taiwanese Style Wonton Noodles













It was here that I had a little adventure of my own, or rather my good deed for the day. Being alone, I was assigned to a random table at the cafe, and another Chinese guy was later seated at my table as well. I ended up starting a conversation with him, realizing that he was actually from China on a business trip. He was new to the area, so I decided to recommend a few places to him, of the few I knew in the Boston area. Apparently he had been to many places already, but he still had not seen the sea, so I decided to tell him about the New England Aquarium. Since he had no idea how to get there, and I still had some time on my hands before my meetup movie, I decided to show him the way.

After that, I went back to the AMC Loews Theater at 175 Tremont Street to watch the movie Hugo in 3D. I must say I'm really not used to watching 3D. To me, it makes the movie less realistic, especially when the effects go out of screen and disappear from view. The movie was pretty good for a family oriented feel good show, however.

After the show, I decided it was time to head home, because there were not many people left around, and that was it for me today.

No comments:

Post a Comment