Friday, December 9, 2011

December 9th 2011: Salsa Dancing Lessons at the Havana Club, Cambridge

Tonight after work, I decided to be adventurous and try my hand at dancing at a meetup event for salsa classes. To lessen the pain of making a fool out of myself, I decided to ask a friend along as well. We first had dinner with a few of the other people we were to meet with in Cambridge at The Similans, a Thai restaurant and more. We were also lucky to find a free parking spot close by.

Aside from the usual Thai dishes, this place has a lot of original creations as well, including the Seafood Volcano which I ordered, while my friend had the duck green curry. The Seafood Volcano arrived at our table covered in aluminum foil, and on fire, unfortunately, I did not have the time to take it burning before it went out, and the foil was opened to reveal the Choo Chee Curry beneath. It was an extremely tasty dish, as was my friend's green curry. One of the other individuals there ordered the soft shell crab Pad Thai, which was delicious as well. To finish things off, we had the fried ice cream for dessert. We did not think it was that great though, because the skin covering the vanilla ice-cream tasted very much like a doughnut, and we did not think that it went very well with the ice cream. Anyway, overall the experience at this restaurant was pretty good, and pictures of our dishes follow.
Duck Green curry
Seafood Volcano


Fried Ice Cream
After dessert, we set off for the Havana Club in the same town. Here along Green Street, there is a parking lot with very cheap rates right next to the place. On Friday nights, the club has salsa lessons for beginners. We had originally thought it would be free, but apparently they are free only after admission, which is at a price of $12 a person. Excited about the dancing lessons, we paid anyway, but although the lessons were supposed to start at 9, it only began at around 9.30pm, possibly after there were enough people around to start. Although the moves were pretty basic, both my friend and I could not quite get it, and it was the case for the rest of the night. There were a lot of other people around us that were very graceful in the art of salsa dancing, however, and we still had a good time realizing what failures we are at dancing. By the time we left, my friend was starting to have blisters as well, and there were still a lot of people dancing the night away.  With that, my adventure in dancing ended. Perhaps someday, I will be strong enough to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment