Friday, December 2, 2011

December 1st 2011: Dinner at Floating Rock, Cambridge

After work today, I went for a meetup dinner in Cambridge at the Floating Rock restaurant in Central Square, Cambridge. The closest parking area was the Green street parking lot at $1.50/hour. I was about an hour early, so I decided to wait at the McDonald's next door and catch up on my reading of the Clash of Kings, getting a small Fries to avoid getting kicked out. I decided to head into the restaurant, situated at the ground floor of an office building at 485 Massachusetts Avenue. 

Eventually the new friends I was to meet trickled in, and soon after we sat down, I realized that the people sitting next to me had things in common with me, even though I live really far from Cambridge. One actually lived in Shrewsbury, although she works in Copley Square, while another actually went to the University of Michigan, graduating 3 years before me. 

Anyway, to the more important stuff, the food. As always, I go for the interesting stuff, and one of them was the egg soda beverage, consisting of egg yolk, condensed milk and soda. We had not idea what it tastes like,s two of us decided to play it safe and share it together. I must say it was not bad, with the slight flavor of egg coming on first, fading away quickly into the sweet tasted of the condensed milk, finally culminating in the sensation of fizz which had a slight orange taste. We were planning to let everyone else have a go at it if it tasted bad, but in the end we kept the most of it to ourselves.

As we shared our food, I had an opportunity to taste the spicy chicken wings, the fried fish with mango, and I ordered the Amok fish curry, which was really good, shown below.

Unfortunately, because of the Fries I had had earlier, I could barely finish my food, so i passed it around for everyone else at the table to try it.

With that, I had to leave early to meet a friend in Framingham, so I had to leave the group early. Although  I felt the ambiance of the place was pretty nice, I felt that the food was pretty typical and not that amazing, even though I've never had Cambodian food before. I tasted more of a mix between Thai and Vietnamese, but then again, Cambodia is located between Thailand and Vietnam anyway, which might explain the similar influences in food.

No comments:

Post a Comment