Saturday, December 24, 2011

December 24th 2011: Learning about Pianos in Ashburnham

On my way to Ashburnham this Christmas Eve, I happened to see the ski slopes of Mount Wachusett from afar at the entrance to the Wachusett Mountain Ski Area, and decided to take a picture.

In Ashburnham, I saw a few interesting areas in town.
Cushing Academy
Stevens Memorial Library

Monument on Town Common,
~32 Main Street
Ashburnham Town Hall, 32 Main Street
The Frederick Historic Piano Collection

Winnekeag Lake, Ashby Road
between Stowell Road and Holt Road 
Ward Pond,
Rindge Turnpike near Ashby Road

I wanted to visit the Frederick Historic Piano Collection, but it was only open later at 1-4pm, so I decided to go for my first hike today along the Midstate Trail to the top of Mount Hunger.  The entrance to this portion of the trail can be found on Holt Road near Ashby Road. I parked my car on the roadside, leaving my blinkers on, and followed the path I took, highlighted below in black.
The trail was pretty easy to follow, but when I got to the peak of Mount Hunger, I did not find any good views here. Undaunted, I decided to push on for a bit more, and I was soon rewarded with a great view of Stodge Meadow Pond down below.
Satisfied with my findings here, I decided to backtrack to my car. Unfortunately, I realized that I could not start my car. The electronic key light seemed to blink, indicating that my key might not have the right encoding. Fearful that the extreme cold had screwed up the encoding in my key, I was starting to panic a little, as my phone had no reception here, and it seemed pretty deserted here. As luck would have it, there was a house nearby, and I happened to notice that its tenant was fixing his car, so I asked for his help to jumpstart my car, just in case it was the battery that had gone dead. As it turned out, it was just the battery, and my engine was going soon after the man used his charger to start my car up. Just to be careful, I decided to leave my engine running for a bit while I was sightseeing in the next town of Ashby.

Along the way, I passed by Watatic Pond as I crossed into Ashby.

Watatic Pond,
Rindge State Road near Watatic  Pond Road


The town center was where most of the buildings I wanted to visit were.
Ashby Town Hall, 895 Main Street
Ashby Free Public Library


First Parish Church Unitarian Universalist
Ashby Congregational Church

Town Common,
Common Road and Main Street

The last place I visited today in Ashby was the Damon Pond Camping Area, where there is a beach on the shores of Damon Pond with really scenic views. This place can be accessed at Hosmer Road close to Townsend Road. It cannot be accessed from the other end of Hosmer Road close to Fitchburg State Road as it is gated here.







Heading to the town of Townsend next, I spotted Willard Brook on my left of Townsend Road in Ashby and took a few pictures of it as it passed under the bridges.










While on the way to Pearl Hill State Park in Townsend, I spotted a war memorial at about 482 Main Street, and the First Baptist Church.
War Memorial
First Baptist Church












Finally at Pearl Hill State Park, located on New Fitchburg Road close to Vinton Pond Road, the path I took to try to get to the viewpoint is highlighted below in pink.
Before heading up the road to the viewpoint, I took a picture of Pearl Hill Pond, and unfortunately, that was the only view of note here, with nothing much to see at the supposed viewpoint, all covered by trees.
With that, I called to see if the Frederick Historic Piano Collection was open, and as it turned out, it was, even though it was Christmas Eve. I decided to head there then. I wasn't expecting much, thinking I would just see a lot of pianos, but the old lady there actually spent 3 hours with me, talking through the various pianos there, their histories, and even playing several music pieces without having to look at any music scores to show me the differences between the various pianos, even teaching me through her playing that only certain pianos are good for playing certain types of music, and why. What I found intriguing was that many famous composers from the past composed their music based on the type of piano they were using to work on the piece, explaining why they can only be played on certain pianos and not others. It was one of the most interesting experiences I ever had. I definitely recommend coming here if you are in the area. They regularly organize concerts as well, starting in the spring time, with many famous pianists coming to play in this little town in Massachusetts. Who would have thought I would find such a gem here. Anyway, pictures of the various pianos from the late 1700s to the early 1900s follow, even some with the black and white keys reversed, at a time when the key colors were not standardized like they are today.
Erard, 1928
Bosendorfer,1830



Mason and Hamlin, 1885
Steinway, 1866

Streicher, 1871
Bosendorfer, 1877



1700s piano made from old harpsichord
Katholnig, 1805, keys of reversed color


By the time the tour was done, it was already way past closing time. The old lady was really that passionate about her work. I truly admire that.

It was already dark as a result, so the sightseeing had to end, and it was time for dinner. It being Christmas Eve, most restaurants were closed, so I had to settle for a typical American Chinese meal at Yee's Village on 350 Main Street in Townsend. I got the Beef Teriyaki, Sweet and Sour Pork and Pork Fried Rice Combo. It was filling and good, but typical at best.

With that, I was done for the day.











No comments:

Post a Comment