Friday, December 23, 2011

December 23rd 2011: Finishing Petersham, Templeton, Gardner and Winchendon

 I had a company holiday today, so I decided to use this opportunity to visit the Fisher Museum in Petersham, which is only open on weekdays this time of year. This museum has a lot of dioramas depicting the history, conservation and management of the forest, shown below. Some include the fire tower I climbed up a week ago.

The tower I climbed up
Fighting a forest fire












How to make a diorama tree
Former Farms


Other exhibits on the second level show the effects of weather, animals, fungi and competition between trees on how they grow, how they get damaged and how they might die as a result. It was interesting because it shows what kind of marks is made by different animals

Damage by termites and carpenter ants
Hornet's nest


I next went to Templeton, where I had missed out on St. Martin's Church, and decided to have lunch there at J.K. Crossroads on 119 Patriots Road.
The restaurant is a pretty small establishment, with typical sandwiches and hamburgers for lunch, nothing too special, although I liked my Cream of Broccoli soup and Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich.


After lunch, time for more sightseeing in the town of Gardner, the Chair City, with 2 giant chair statues, one outside the Helen Mae Sauter School, and one outside the Chair City Wayside Furniture Company.  
Outside Helen Mae Sauter School
Outside Chair City Wayside Furniture Company

Next, I visited the Dunn State Park, which has a walking trail around the Dunn Pond that I walked, the path being highlighted in pink below.
Pictures of the pond from various points along the path follow.










The last place I visited in Gardner today was the campus of Mount Wachusett Community College and the Heywood Hospital nearby and two big wind turbines.
Heywood Hospital
Wind turbines












Mount Wachusett Community College
Done with Gardner, I decided to head into the 6th Circle in the town of Winchendon, the Toy Town. The first place I went to was the town common area on Front Street and Pleasant Street. There are several monuments here, as well as interesting buildings nearby like the town hall, the library and a few churches.
The Town Common







Winchendon Town Hall, 109 Front Street




Immaculate Heart of Mary Church
Beals Memorial Library





Church of the Unity
The Otter River State Forest was my next destination in Winchendon for the day, with the Lake Dennison Recreation Area the focus of my attention here. After driving about for a bit finding the proper entrance to the place, I finally found it by entering Mill Glen Road from Winchendon Road and Baldwinville State Road.
From here, I drove to New Boston Road, where I found the beach area on the shores of Lake Dennison.


From here, the path I took is highlighted below in pink.
I drove along New Boston Road, then turned left onto Goodnow Road, intending to head all the way to the dam on the map.
Otter River from Goodnow Road
However, when I got really close, the road I came upon was flooded. I tried to drive through it, but ended up almost stranding my vehicle. Thankfully, i managed to back myself out of a hopeless situation, and drove back to the intersection with Swamp Road,and turned left onto it. Passing by Beaver Pond, I took a picture of it.
At the junction with River Road, I turned left to try to get back to the dams, but the way was gated near the second dam, and I decided to drive back out to civilization in Royalston.
First dam
Second Dam










I then tried to go onto Birch Hill Dam Road at another attempt to see Birch Hill Dam, but as it turned out, it was closing time at 3.30pm, so the park ranger chased me back out.

Dejected, I headed back to Winchendon, but managed to spot a few buildings in Royalston before doing so.
Second Congregational Church of South Royalston,
2 School Street
Whitney Hall, 5 School Street



Royalston Community School
Finally back in Winchendon, I visited a few interesting places, including the Giant Rocking Horse on the corner of School Street and Front Street.
Giant Rocking Horse
Murdock Middle/High School


United Parish of Winchendon
Old Murdock Senior Center,
52 Murdock Avenue


Monument Park,
Murdock Avenue and Grove Street








Whitney Pond,
Glenallen Street and Spring Street
Lake Monomonac,
Beach View Drive



Finally done for the day, it was time to head into Boston for a meetup event at Irashai Sushi and Teriyaki in Boston. When I set off, I would arrive just in time as stated on my GPS. Unfortunately, I did not know the lanes very well, ending up being forced to go the wrong direction twice and getting lost. Eventually when I got to the restaurant, I was already half an hour late, but apparently another person was even later. It was a good thing that everyone at the table had only just ordered, so it was still good timing. I decided to get the Pink Lady Roll and the Midori Maki Roll, which were not too bad. I also tried some of my friend's Chicken and Beef Teriyaki, which wasn't too bad either, except I did not eat it with rice or noodles, so it became too salty after a while.
The Pink Lady Roll
Midori Maki Roll



With that, my day of sightseeing ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment