Monday, December 26, 2011

December 26th 2011: Completing the 5th Circle

Today I decided to continue my sightseeing in Groton. The first place I visited was the Duck Pond. The entrance is the same as that of Skinner Forest, located on Lost Lake Drive between its intersections with Pine Trail. The path I took at Duck Pond is highlighted in pink below.
The view at Buckingham Point was really nice, and can be a suitable spot for a picnic.
I could not find the path into the wooded area, however, so I decided to head to Skinner Forest instead. The path I took is shown below in pink.
I first went to the supposed viewpoint over the pond, but try as I might, I did not see any good views in this area, all the way back to the other side of Lost Lake Drive. Heading back to where I started, I ventured to Whitney Pond this time, where there was a good view of it at the very end of the trail.
Whitney Pond at Skinner Forest
After heading back a different way to my car, I visited 2 other water bodies before heading to Westford for lunch.
Lost Lake, Lost Lake Drive near Redskin Trail
Knops Pond, End of Island Road

I decided to try the Bamboo Fine Asian Cuisine and Sushi Bar in Westford, as the restaurants in Groton were still closed for the holidays. This restaurant has really nice decor, and after ordering the Sweet Lobster Roll, I decided to try the lunch buffet as well, which had sushi on top of the regular Chinese fare, which was pretty good as well.
Sweet Lobster Roll
After my filling lunch, I decided to visit the town of Littleton. The first place I went to was the Nashoba Valley Snow Tubing Park, which was open and covered with snow, although there had not been any significant snowfall this winter.
The Nashoba Valley Ski Area in Westford was nearby, so I decided to go take a picture of it, this time with snow cover.
Back in Littleton, it was time for another short hike at Newtown Hill, found on Newtown Road near Boxboro Road. The route I took, which was basically just heading up the hill to the water tower there, is shown below in pink.
The views from atop Newtown Hill were terrific, and the pictures I took follow.
The Water Tower atop Newtown Hill

The next place I went hiking at Long Lake Park. The route I took is shown below in pink.
From the non-existent parking area at the end of Middlesex Drive, I walked all the way to the meadow, where there is an AT&T radio tower and great views at the top as well.






AT&T radio tower









Next, I headed across the meadow back to the AT&T line trail and walked to the White Dot Trail, whereupon I turned right to head to the shore of Long Lake, where there is a rock structure called the Sitting Rock, and a good view of Long Lake.
I then backtracked all the way back to my car, and while driving off to my next destination, I saw one last view of Long Lake.

I visited a few other places before heading to the Prouty Woods Community Forest, shown below.

Littleton Police

Littleton Historical Society













Fay Park, Foster Street and Wilderness Road










St. Anne's Catholic Church

Littleton High School



















The parking area for the Prouty Woods Community Forest located at the end of Wilderness Road. The path I took to get to the top of Wilderness Hill is shown below in pink.
The views here were fantastic.









I chose not to head towards Long Lake, since I already saw it from Long Lake Park. Heading back to my car, I decided to head to the Hartwell Family Memorial Preserve for another hike. The route I took is highlighted below in pink.
The parking area is along Hartwell Avenue, opposite Utility Pole #71. From there I walked to the supposed Old Stone Bridge, but all I found was a few stone slabs over the Beaver Brook, shown below.
Beaver Brook
The sun was quickly setting when I finally reached Oak Hill, the parking area found on Oak Hill Road near Sanderson Road. The route I took is shown below, highlighted in pink.
From the parking area, I first walked along Fire Road 1, walking past the Water Tower on the way to the Lookout Rock.

The views from Lookout Rock were great, although it was getting dark by now.









With that, I turned onto Fire Road 2, then Fire Road 3 on my way to the Tophet Chasm. By the time I had reached there, it was almost completely dark, but thankfully there was nothing to see here. I was panicking as I was in the middle of the woods in almost total darkness, but with the help of my light on my compass, I finally made it out back to my car.

I had a dinner appointment in Boston with 2 friends, so I headed there. We decided to have dinner at McCormick and Schmick's at Faneuil Hall Marketplace, which had beautiful decor. For appetizers, we had the coconut shrimp and the calamari "Frito Misto".
Coconut Shrimp
Calamari "Frito Misto"



For my main dish, I had the lobster bisque and the Crab Tower, which had mango and avocado along with crab meat and sashimi tuna, leading to an interesting taste, which was not bad at all. The lobster bisque was a little salty, however.
Crab Tower
Lobster Bisque











Finally, for dessert, we had the Chocolate Oreo Cookie Sandwich, which was pretty much like an Oreo cookie in taste, and was good.
Chocolate Oreo Cookie Sandwich
With that, I was really tired, so I decided to head home early, while my friends continued to hang out in Boston.



No comments:

Post a Comment