Wednesday, October 2, 2013

October 2nd 2013: Hunting for the Street Pianos of Boston

This morning, after dropping my mom off at the Boston Logan Airport, I decided to take the opportunity to find the first street piano I've seen in Boston, located in Terminal E at the arrivals level near the customs area. As a result, I had to park my car in Central Parking, costing me $3 in the end, but well worth the cost, as there were excellent views from the rooftop of the parking lot,



and I caught sight of a few pieces of artwork in Terminal E,
Mini Moo and Moo England

And of course the piano itself, structured to look like a plane.

I was supposed to go into work today, but after some thought, I decided that since I was already in Boston and would have to come back here again later tonight to see the stars with a friend at the BU Observatory, I would take the day off instead and try to hunt for all the street pianos, 75 in all, scattered all over Boston and its surrounding neighborhoods. My next destination was the Charlestown Naval Yard, which unfortunately is closed due to the government shutdown, and the police simply refused to let me go in to see the piano there. Oh politics.

From here, I decided to head to Davis Square in Somerville, the next closest spot with a piano, and I had success there.

The Porter Square one in Cambridge was a little hard to find, being located in front of Porter Square Books.
From here, I decided to take a walk to the Harvard Square area, passing by several pianos along the way.
Abodeon


Cambridge Common
Harvard Law School
Longy School of Music
One Brattle Square
Harvard Science Plaza
Au Bon Pain Harvard Square
The Harvard Science Center Plaza has changed a lot since the last time I was here, when it was still under construction.


From here, I walked all the way back to my car at Porter Square, then drove to all the remaining pianos in Cambridge.
Inman Square
Cafe Luna
One Kendall Square
Kendall/MIT T Station
I was starting to feel hungry, so I headed into the Financial District area of Boston, where I managed to find parking and headed to Boston Kebab House, a Mediterranean takeout place located at 7 Liberty Square. This place has a basement dining area as well, which was actually pretty decent looking.
I decided to order several things including Sutlac (Oven Baked Rice Pudding),

Baklava,

The Swordfish Kebab Wrap (cubes of swordfish marinated with spices, olive oil and lemon juice), 

and the Boston Kebab Special (combination of donner Kebab, kofte kebab, chicken shish kebab and lamb shish kebab).


The meat in the special was extremely tasty, while the desserts were scrumptious as well. Only the fish was a little dry and not to my liking. I'll put a recommend on this place for the quality of food as well as the nice dining area for the cheap price.

From here, I resumed my piano hunt, heading toward City Hall, passing by the fountain at the Norman Leventhal Park

along the way.
Norman Leventhal Park
Old State House
City Hall Plaza

I had another groupon to use, so I headed to Cafe Hemshin, a much smaller and less impressive Mediterranean takeout place than Boston Kebab House, passing by the King's Chapel, which happened to be open today,
I ordered the Adana Kebab Plate,

the Steak Tip and Falafel Plate,

and the Cranberry Almond Chicken Salad.

The steak tips and the chicken salad were pretty alright, while the adana kebab was just so-so. In any case, nowhere as good as Boston Kebab House.

Proceeding on from here, I visited 2 more pianos before bringing the food back to my car.
Quincy Market
Irish Famine Memorial
After putting the stuff back in the car, it was time for the next leg of my hunt, along the Rose Kennedy Greenway and the Waterfront area.
Rings Fountain
Rowes Wharf
Fort Point Channel Park
Dewey Square
It was interesting to note that Dewey Square is now more a park and drastically different from the last time I was here.

After taking a picture of the piano at the Chinatown gate,

it was time to head to the seaport area.
Atlantic Wharf
Boston Children's Museum
There was a cute pirate ship floating in the water in front of the Boston Children's Museum,

and interesting looking "Street Seats" in the area.
Knot Bench
Negative/Positive
Two more pianos,
Northern Avenue Bridge
Institute of Contemporary Art
and it was time to go to the observation tower at the top of the Marriott's Custom House, where people are allowed to go up at 2pm or 6pm on most days of the week except Friday. Before that, I was feeling a little hungry, so I decided to check out Pret-A-Manger, a pretty nice looking deli in the Financial District.
I decided to get the Mango, Brown Sugar and Almond Pot (greek yogurt), and the Honey Tangerine juice for a drink.

The juice wasn't very sweet, although the yogurt was pretty good. A pretty fancy deli I must say.

The inside of the Custom House hotel was pretty nice as well.

This time of day, the sun was setting, so the pictures I took at the top were pretty awesome.

After I finally got down to the bottom, it was about time to go see the stars at the BU Coit Observatory with my friend, but not before visiting 2 more pianos in the Kenmore Square area.
Kenmore Square
BU Morse Auditorium
The skies were clear tonight, so the stargazing experience was a little better than the last time I was here, with us looking at 3 different star collections in the sky. Unfortunately, it was too dark for me to take any pictures as always.

After leaving the observatory, we decided to go check out the pianos, heading to the 32nd piano of my day, located at the George Sherman Courtyard at Boston University.

Unfortunately, there was someone playing on the piano, so we could not use it, and in the end we decided to call it a day as the other pianos were too far to walk to, vowing to come back another day to find other pianos.

Overall, I'm glad I decided to take the day off and enjoy the great weather today while looking for pianos.

No comments:

Post a Comment