Wednesday, October 30, 2013

October 30th 2013: Dinner at The Fat Cactus, Lynnfield

Today after work, I had to use a Groupon  before it expired, at The Fat Cactus, a Mexican restaurant located in the town of Lynnfield. I had originally wanted to have dinner with  my friend in Cambridge, but as the Red Sox had a World series game in town tonight,  the traffic heading into Boston was hell, and was already backed up all the way to Framingham. I decided to get out as quickly, stopping by the Willis Pond beach at the end of Lake Shore Drive in Sudbury to take some pictures instead.
From here I drove all the way to Lynnfield for my dinner. I wasn't feeling too well at this point, but I still decided to go ahead with ordering a lot of food to fulfill my groupon. With the Red Sox game about to start, I ordered several appetizers, and although I was about to order the Tequila Lime Wings (marinated in freshly squeezed citrus juices, a hint of tequilla then fried) to fulfill my Groupon, the wings were 30 cents a piece this very night, so I was forced to order the Beef Empanadas (Ground black angus sirloin spiced with fresh cilantro, stuffed into pastry pillows with Mexican Cheeses and fried, served with sour cream and homemade salsa) as well,

getting 2 Tequila Lime Wings

and 2 Diablo Wings (marinated in Mexican Buffalo sauce) instead.

I also got the Baja Spicy Popcorn Shrimp (baby gulf shrimp dipped in buttermilk then tossed in combination of spices, corn flour and fried, served with Baja dipping sauce).

For my main dish, I got the Bandido Ribs (full rack of baby back pork ribs roasted low and slow with sugar based dry rub then baked with sweet and tangy barbecue sauce, served with seasoned fries, red cabbage slaw and cornbread),

and finally the Deep Fried Ice Cream (Vanilla Ice Cream Ball rolled in cinnamon sugar and corn flakes, then deep fried to crispy shell, topped with strawberry syrup) for dessert.
The wings were simply excellent, especially the tequila lime ones, having a good amount of tanginess. The popcorn shrimp were pretty unique with the spice factor, while the empanadas were awesome as well. However, I was already full before I could even finish the shrimp and the empanadas, so I had to wrap them up before my main dish came. The ribs were not too bad either, although I could barely stomach even 3 bone portions. There's always space for dessert though, although the cinammon kinda spoilt it for me. By the time I left, the Red Sox had scored 3 runs, and there would be 3 more on my way home. I'm glad they won the World Series. Go Sox!!

No comments:

Post a Comment