Sunday, November 3, 2013

November 3rd 2013: Sightseeing in Northeastern Massachusetts

This morning, my friends and I were supposed to go on an all day fishing trip in Hampton NH, but as the wind conditions were too unfavorable, the people at Al Gauron Deep Sea Fishing and Whale Watching decided to cancel the trip and close for the season, and I only found out when I arrived. Greatly disappointed, I had to break to my friends the bad news, and they were already on the way as well. They decided to continue their journey to meet me, and I decided to grab something hot to drink at Al Gauron's Luncheonette, a small town diner located right next door while I waited for them to come.
Hot Chocolate

When my friends finally arrived, I decided to take them to Hollow Cafe, another breakfast place located in the Massachusetts town of Amesbury that looked interesting because of the menu.

The decor of the place is actually pretty decent, and I was thankful that I did not bring my friend to a rundown place like some I have been to in the past.

I decided to get the Tex Mex Tango Succotash Hash Omelet (BBQ Pulled Pork, Southern Succotash Hash with Jalapenos and Provolone Cheese),

while my friends got the Boot Scootin Hollowing Hash o Mite Omelet (Corned Beef Hash, onions, cheese),

the Irish Benedict (Dropped Eggs on English Muffin with corned beef hash topped with hollandaise with homefries)

and the Maine Maple Melt (2 pieces of warm French Toast stuffed with 2 fried eggs, melted cheddar cheese, maple sausage and caramelized onions served with maple syrup).
I did not get to try my friend's omelet, although mine was interestingly good, as were the Benedict and the melt.

Overall, not bad for a small town breakfast place.

From here, instead of heading home because I was sick, I decided not to waste the rest of the day, choosing to sightsee in Northeastern Massachusetts instead. In Amesbury itself, I visited several places

St. James Episcopal Church

Seventh Day Adventist Church
Patten's Pond, ~201 Main Street












Main Street Congregational Church

Rock Church
Amesbury Public Library
Josiah Bartlett Memorial,
School Street and Main Street
Holy Family Parish
Amesbury Fire Department
All Saint's Anglican Church
Amesbury Town Hall, 62 Friend Street
Newburyport Five Cents Savings Bank,
43 Main Street
Market Street Baptist Church
Memorial, Amesbury Middle School
Captain's Well
Union Congregational Church
Grace Reformed Baptist Church,
98 Kimball Road
Meadowbrook Pond, 181 Kimball Road
Tuxbury Pond, ~180 Kimball Road
including Alliance Park at ~345 Main Street, a small park with terrific views of the Merrimack River.

From Bailey Memorial Bridge at ~344 Main Street nearby

 was views of the Powwow River.
From the Derek S Hines Bridge at ~2 Main Street, there are more views of the Merrimack River.

Deer Island is a small island in the middle of the Merrimack River with a small hiking trail to the edge of the river.

Next, I went to find the 1810 Powder House, a bullet shaped building located on the top of a hill in the middle of the woods at ~71 Madison Street. I don't know how, but somehow I managed to find it.

While here, I also ventured into Merrimac to visit Lake Attitash,

and Newburyport to see the Chain Bridge.

From here, it was on to the town of Methuen, where I spent a lot of time finishing it up.
St. Lucy's Church
New Hope Methodist Church,
10 Phillips Street
St. Andrews Episcopal Church
Spicket River Dam, ~190 Broadway
Memorial Music Hall
Nevin's Manor
First Baptist Church
St. Monica Church
Old Central School, 250 Lawrence Street
City Hall, 41 Pleasant Street
First Church Congregational
Methuen Historical Society
Wardwell Square,
Charles Street and Pleasant Street
Fire Department

Clock Tower,
Broadway and Hampshire Street
Riverwalk Park, 48 Osgood Street
Memorial,

Nevin's Memorial Library
Fellowship Bible Church
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints,
39 Hill Street
Forest Street Union Church
St. Theresa Church
St. Xenia Orthodox Church
Riverside Assembly of God

The one thing of note here was the Spicket Falls, located beside the Mill Falls Apartments.

The falls themselves are pretty awesome, with a walkway going over them.



With that, I was done with the town of Methuen, and headed into Andover for the rest of the day.
Sri Chinmaya Maruti Temple
Shawsheen School
West Parish Church
New England Bible Church
Saints Constantine and Helen Greek Orthodox Church
Saint Franciscan Center
St. Robert Bellarmine Church
Haggetts Pond, ~395 Lowell Street
Chapel at West Parish
North Boston Korean United Methodist Church
Ballardvale United Church
St. Joseph Church
Ballardvale Dam, 15 Dale Street

Finally, the sun set for good, and it was time for dinner. I wasn't too hungry as I was still sick, so I decided to have it at Tokyo Steakhouse, a Japanese restaurant in town. The place was pretty empty tonight, strangely.

For food, I decided to get the Onion ala Japanese Soup,

the Beauty on the Beach (Shrimp tempura and asparagus topped with salmon, tuna, mango and avocado with chef's special sauce)

and the Kiwi Scallop Maki (Spicy seafood salad topped with kiwi, scallop and black tobiko).

All the dishes were actually pretty good, although I could not really tell because I was sick, and even had trouble finishing everything. Oh well, at least I was pretty productive today despite not being able to go fishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment