Saturday, November 30, 2013

November 30th 2013: Dinner at Avellino and The Duck, Sturbridge

While still in NYC, I started out the morning with brunch at Penelope, getting a PENNY EGG SANDWICH (Scrambled eggs with american cheese & pesto on a croissant).

then went for a walk along the East River Esplanade,
heading towards 
Empire State Building

St. Vartan Armenian Cathedral

Chanin Building

Bank of America Tower




















From here, we headed for lunch at Brother Jimmy's BBQ at 181 Lexington Avenue, getting a SWAMP WATER (our legendary cocktail served in a 64oz fish bowl)
and the Marbled SLICED BRISKET (certified Black Angus brisket smoked for up to 14 hours).

With that, I finally called it a day for my NYC trip this time around and headed for home.



After managing to make it back to Massachusetts from NYC, where I had a lot of fun with my friends, I decided to stop by Sturbridge for dinner at the Whistling Swan, a historical place containing 2 restaurants, namely Avellino, a pretty upscale Italian restaurant, and The Duck, a bar restaurant. I was informed that by eating at the central bar, I would be able to try both places at the same time, so I decided to do just that. Not feeling too hungry, I decided to get the Risotto con Funghi (arborio rice with wild mushrooms, truffle cream, parmesan cheese)

from the Avellino side, and the Duck Quesadilla (confit rohan duck, smoked gouda, pear salsa, aji sour cream) from the Duck side.

The place also comes with a jar of crackers for starters.
To my disappointment, the cheese in the risotto was a little too strong, while the quesadilla was a little plain as well. At the same time, I suddenly felt extremely exhausted.

Not a good dining experience overall, but I would still give this place the benefit of the doubt, given its popularity. I'm just glad I got home safely today.






No comments:

Post a Comment