Saturday, January 21, 2012

January 21st 2012: Once in Valhalla

Tonight, I headed to Somerville for a food festival, "Once in Valhalla", held at the Center for the Arts at the Armory. It had snowed heavily all day, but as I had failed to check the weather for today before purchasing my $76 ticket, I had to drive through the snow to get there. Thankfully, there was ample parking behind the place, so I did not have to parallel park along the snow covered streets. The place itself looks really nice, like a quaint little castle.
Center for the Arts at the Armory
After registering, I got a golden ribbon to wear around my wrist. On reflection, I guess it was to indicate that I ate meat. I was early, so we had to wait in the cafe there until the event was officially open at 7 pm. People all around me were dressed in Nordic garb, wearing various sorts of Viking Helmets. I was feeling a little out of place, being one of the very few Asians there.

When we finally got inside, I saw that the hall was decorated like a huge banquet area, shown below. Thankfully, I was one of the early birds, so I was able to  choose a good seat at the center. I think I sat in green region instead of the yellow, though, although I could not tell from the lighting, but apparently it was not that important in the end.
Anyway, our first dish, the Smorgasbord, was already on the table. It consisted of Liverwurst, Charred Veal Liver, Fresh Maine Butter, Elderberry Cured Mackerel, Fermented Black Radishes, Pickled Fiddleheads, Brined Watermelon Radishes, with Clear Flour Volkenbrot on the side for the bread. Of everything here, I found everything interesting, but only liked the mackerel and liver meat.
The smorgasbord
While eating, I observed that there were people lining up on the sides of the room. I knew that one line was for drinks, but there was another crowd surrounding a few Viking garbed people. When I went to see what was going on, I saw that it was where the Island Creek Oysters were being shucked by the Vikings for us to eat. The Oysters themselves were really salty, probably due to the seawater they had inside, and when I tried the Green Apple Minionette, it did not change the flavor at all, mainly because other people before me had already dipped their oysters and poured the saltiness into the bowls. That did not stop me from eating a couple though.
The Vikings
Island Creek Oysters with Green Apple Minionette











The next course came on a small wooden plate, served by female Valkyries, a block of Robinson Family cheese set atop a rectangular piece of Four Star Rye Hardtack. Neither suited my fancy though.

Using the same plate, the Valkyries then came by after a while to pour Parsnip Bisque from jugs they carried. The soup was decent, but somehow I do not like sweet soups.
While waiting between courses, some of the Vikings would come up onto the stage in front to tell us a little about Nordic culture and gods, playing musical instruments and dancing, and even taught us to sing a Nordic drinking song.









The next course was the Fired Roasted Stillman Leg of Lamb, Red Fire Beets and Sophia's Yogurt. It was served on a large plate to be shared by the people sitting in its vicinity. The meat was really tender, being quite rare, and I could not help wondering how others who dares not eat raw meat would survive the night. The meat was delicious though.
Before we were done, the next course arrived, being the Cider Maple Glazed Vermont Ham and Cheesy Onion Oat Porridge.
The people at the table were cringing at the thought of the oat porridge, but as it turned out, it was actually really good. The ham was really delicious too, especially the pieces with fat on them. Unhealthy, but good.

The next course had already been sampled by others before it came to me, so forgive the lack of aesthetics in the pictures of the Yellow Eye Beans and Wheatberry Pilaf, and Juniper Honey Roasted Roots, which came in separate bowls. This dish was okay I guess, but definitely not my favorite for the night.
Yellow Eye Beans and Wheatberry Pilaf
Juniper Honey Roasted Roots










The next round was fish, being Green River Ambrosia Mead Poached New Deal Pollock with Butter Sauce, and Chiogga Beets with Thyme. By now, we were getting a little tired of the food, but the fish was fresh and moist though.
Mead Poached Pollock with Butter Sauce

The last main course of the night was the best. It was Slumbrew Porter Square Porter Braised Vermont Beef Cheeks Stew, with Rather Crafty Oatcakes. The stew was really fantastic, with the cheek meat being so tender, but even more popular were the oatcakes, which were basically thin, sweet cookies, with people constantly asking for more.
Beef Cheeks Stew
Delicious oatcakes












And of course, who can go without dessert, being a cup of Sophia's yogurt, Honey and Blood of the Gods (Raspberry sauce). The yogurt was a little too sour for my liking, though.
With that, I was finally done for the night at around 10.30pm. That was a really long dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment