Saturday, January 7, 2012

January 7th 2012: The First Day in Martha's Vineyard

Starting off my tour of Martha's Vineyard from my friend's house in Tisbury, I visited a few places before going on my first hike at Phillips Preserve.
Grace Church











Tashmoo Spring Building,
~730 State Road
Island Cove Adventures Mini-Golf,
386 State Road











Vineyard Haven Public Library
Saint Augustine's Roman Catholic Church

Drew Cove, ~730 State Road
Unitarian Universalist Society
Christ United Methodist Church
Veteran's Memorial Park
First Baptist Church
1914 Rail Car outside Black Dog Cafe

Tisbury Town Hall
The parking area to the Phillips Preserve can be found along Army Road, which is a one lane, one-way dirt road. The route I took, the Margaret Lindsay Memorial Trail, to get to Rhoda Pond, a branch of Lake Tashmoo, is highlighted below in pink.

The views of Rhoda Pond was pretty decent, although there were much better scenery at the various beaches to come later.




From here, I walked back down the other path, and when I reached back to Army Road, I decided to just end my hike here and walk along Army Road back to my car.

From here, my next hike was at Hillman's Point Preserve. The parking area can be found near the end of Hillamn's Point Way, and the route I took here is highlighted below in pink.
After walking a short distance through the woods, I emerged on the shores of Lake Tashmoo, where there is a little but beautiful beach area here with north-south views. Pictures of the lake, the beach and the surrounding area follow. Some interesting things I found here include a live snail and a beautiful scallop shell I decided to keep for myself.







Scallop Shell

Living Snail
The next place I went to was Lake Tashmoo Beach, found at the end of Herring Creek Drive. It is a bit of a drive down dirt roads to get here, but it is well worth it to see the lake and its entrance to Vineyard Sound, the open sea. It was high tide at this time of morning, and pictures I took here follow.




Lake Tashmoo

Herring Creek Road Entrance
The channel leading to the sea




Vineyard Sound, the Open Ocean




Black Vulture
Bird footprints
The next place I went to was very nearby, at Wilfrid's Pond Preserve. The route I took to get to the shore of Vineyard Sound is shown below in pink. There is a side trail that leads to a bench looking out on Wilfrid's Pond, but the view is blocked by trees.
When I got to Vineyard Sound, the view of the ocean was pretty fantastic, on this stretch of pebbly beach. Some wildlife I saw were some sandpipers and albatrosses, and even an old horseshoe crab shell.

Vineyard Sound








Sandpipers
Albatross


Horseshoe crab shell
Here's a secret though; hidden behind a wall of sand, is Wilfrid's Pond, which had a lot of water birds when I first saw it after scaling the wall, and they flew away before I could get my picture.
Wilfrid's Pond
Heading back to my car, I decided to go find the West Chop Lighthouse. Views from the area follow



West Chop Lighthouse

From here, I headed to the Tisbury Town Beach at the end of Owen Little Way. Along the way, I passed by the West Chop Meadow at about 762 Main Street, which has views of Vineyard Haven Harbor.
Tisbury Town Beach is easterly facing beach, with really pristine waters and beautiful views of Vineyard Haven Harbor. There were a couple of Pale-bellied Brent Geese swimming here as well.




Clear waters
Pale Bellied Brent Geese










Owen Park Beach was next on the list, found at the end of Owen Park Way, and it is actually very close to the Tisbury Town Beach. The Steamship Authority Harbor from which I arrived onto this island is also nearby here. A lot of yachts are also anchored here. Views follow.

Woods Hole-Vineyard Haven Ferry
View from Owen Park



















From Owen Park, I headed to the Ramble Trail Preserve, located along Weaver Lane on the shores of Lagoon Pond. Along the way, I caught a few views of Lagoon Pond.




The trail I took at the Ramble Trail Preserve is highlighted below in pink.

I walked a very short distance from the parking area to the shore of Lagoon Pond, and took nice pictures of the pond from here.


Next, I went to the Featherstone Center for the Arts in Oak Bluffs, where I parked to go to my true destination, the Weahtaqua Springs Preserve. There were a few interesting sculptures outside the facility that took my notice.



The route I took to get to the Weahtaqua Springs Preserve and on to view Upper Lagoon Pond is shown below in pink.
From the parking area at the Featherstone Center for the Arts, I headed to the yellow trail and followed it to Barnes Road, crossing it to head into the Weahtaqua Springs Preserve. At the intersection with the white trail, I turned into it to head all the way to the viewing area at the tip of Upper Lagoon Pond. There was not a very extensive view of the pond here, however.
Heading back the way I came, I turned left onto Barnes Road when I came to it, walking along it till I reached the junction with Featherstone Lane. Here, I turned left onto another white trail that led me to the shores of Upper Lagoon Pond in Oak Bluffs with much better views here.





Finally reaching the other end of the trail where it meets up with Barnes Road, I headed back down Barnes Road to Featherstone Lane, turning onto it to get back to my car. To newcomers, I recommend just walking straight to the Oak Bluffs portion of Upper Pond Lagoon instead of going into the woods at the Weahtaqua Springs Preserve.

Done with the town of Tisbury, I decided to head for lunch at The Net Result. This place is actually a fish market, with live lobsters in the shop, but they do have take out.
Live Lobsters
I decided to grab a lobster roll and a lobster bisque, and I went to the benches outside to enjoy my delicious lunch, with the weather being so warm and all.
I enjoyed my relaxing lunch break thoroughly, taking in views of Vineyard Haven Harbor from where I sat on Beach Road.
Before heading across the bridge into Oak Bluffs, there is a small parking area on the Lagoon Pond side, and I stopped here to take a few last pictures of it and the ocean on the other side of Beach Road before saying goodbye to Tisbury, for now.
The bridge into Oak Bluffs


Lagoon Pond







Vineyard Haven Harbor









Finally crossing the bridge into Oak Bluffs, the northerly facing Eastville Point Beach was immediately to my left on Beach Road close to Hospital Road. Beautiful views from this sandy beach on the shores of Vineyard Haven Harbor follow.


























Next, I visited Island Alpaca, the Martha's Vineyard Hospital and the East Chop Lighthouse, the latter having a view of.
Island Alpaca

Martha's Vineyard Hospital
Vineyard Sound from East Chop Lighthouse

East Chop Lighthouse
From here, I headed to the Trinity Park Circle area, which is the heart of the historic gingerbread cottages, with the Martha's Vineyard Camp Meeting Association Tabernacle right in the middle of it with the Trinity United Methodist Church nearby
Under the Tabernacle



Trinity United Methodist Church



Gingerbread Cottages


The Oak Bluffs Inn, Our Lady Star of the Sea Church and Union Chapel are also in this area.
Oak Bluffs Inn
Union Chapel




Our Lady Star of the Sea Church
Next, I headed to the Ocean Park area bounded by Ocean Avenue and Seaview Avenue. Besides the park itself, which is quite big and has a few monuments on it, but also other interesting places, definitely not forgetting to mention the Oak Bluffs Town Beach, with easterly views of Vineyard Sound.




Ocean Park




Trinity Episcopal Church
Oak Bluffs Steamship Authority Dock,
1 Seaview Avenue











I took a stroll along the entire stretch of the Oak Bluffs Town Beach as the sun continued to set, allowing me beautiful views of the rising moon, and there were also very nice residential properties along Seaview Avenue. Pictures follow.
The Steamship Authority Dock from
Oak Bluffs Town Beach
Nice House along Seaview Avenue



















Barnacles on the Rocks
The rising moon




Looking back

Looking forward







Finally, I left the area and headed to the corner of Seaview Avenue and Circuit Avenue Extension, where there are lovely views of Oak Bluffs Harbor as well.

With that, I headed home to cook dinner with my friend. We had an enjoyable night, and I'm looking forward to more sightseeing in Martha's Vineyard tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment