Saturday, January 14, 2012

January 14th 2012: Getting Stuck in the Snow

It's been a long while since I've been to the Western 6th Circle, if at all, and unfortunately, there was heavy snowfall on Thursday. Although there was a rise in temperatures above melting point on Friday, it was not sufficient to melt the snow, especially in the area I was going to, and come today, the temperatures had gone back down to freezing, and stayed that way all day. It was lovely driving today though, with mountains of pristine white everywhere. The first place I visited was the Beaman Pond Recreation Area located within the Otter River State Forest, most of which is within Winchendon. I tried to enter the area from the main office area at 86 Winchendon Road in Templeton, but the way was closed for the season, so I had to walk all the way to Beaman Pond, following the route I took highlighted below in pink.
When I finally got to the pond, it was frozen as expected. It still looked pretty good, however, and views of the frozen pond follow.

From here, I tried to drive to King Phillip Rock which is on the same roads that I used to try to find Birch Hill Dam in Royalston before. Unfortunately, the snow was so thick here that I actually got stuck on New Boston Road. After trying in vain to get out for quite some time, with no way of calling for help due to a lack of a cellphone signal, something that was almost improbable at this time of day happened. An old man happened to pass by, in the middle of the woods, and he helped me push my car out. Happy to be finally unstuck, I decided that I was not going to do any more trails for the rest of the day.

With that I headed to my next destination, the Birch Hill Dam in Royalston. I was hoping that the gate would open this time, but once again, it was closed. This time, I decided to walk the distance after parking at the start of Birch Hill Dam Road. The route I took is highlighted below in pink.
As I walked along the snow covered road, I realized it was going to be a really long walk to the dam itself, but I had all day, so I trudged along, and was glad I did not give up, because the views of the surroundings from atop the dam were awesome. If I had a sleigh, I would definitely go sliding down those hills. Pictures follow.
The long road to the dam
Almost there









Rounding the bend

Finally atop the dam







Views from atop the dam




Walking back





Views of Millers River










From here, I went on to visit a few other places in Royalston before heading to the town of Athol.
First Congregational Church of Royalston
Royalston Historical Society,
1 Athol Road


Old Royalston Town Hall,
13 On the Common
The Village School
Phinehas S. Newton Library


Finally done with Royalston, Silver Lake Park in Athol on the corner of Stevens Street and Lincoln Avenue was my next destination. The entrance here was gated, but I was able to park the car near here and head down to the lake, which has a beach area, that was unfortunately covered in snow today. Views of the frozen lake follow.

Next, I headed into the town center area.
Athol-Orange Baptist Church
First Church Unitarian Universalist

Athol Town Hall, 584 Main Street
Starrett Memorial United Memorial Church





Old Athol Bus Station,
573 South Street
Athol Savings Bank Main Office,
444 Main Street




Athol Veteran's Park,
Exchange Street and Main Street
Wayside Cross

St. Francis of Assisi Church, 101 Main Street
Millers River Environmental Center

Alan E. Rich Environmental Park,
~42 Main Street


From here, I headed to lunch at the Main Street Diner at 311 Main Street. This place is a really small and simple diner, nothing much to speak of, but the Scalloped Potatoes with Ham and Cheese, with Jalapeno Pepper Cornbread on the side, which I got, was pretty delicious, especially the Jalapeno cornbread.
After my cheap but good lunch, I visited a few more areas in Athol before heading to New Salem.
Uptown Common,
Main Street and Common Street
St. John's Episcopal Church,
15 Park Avenue












Our Lady Immaculate Catholic Church,
192 School Street
Athol-Royalston Middle School
Lake Ellis, Lake Ellis Road


Athol Congregational Church 
In the town of New Salem, I visited a few areas before looking for a few overlooks over the Quabbin Reservoir area. Among the places was the Swift River Valley Historical Society, dedicated to the demolished towns of Prescott, Enfield, Dana and Greenwich.
Swift River Valley Historical Center


Swift River, ~80 Daniel Shays Highway



New Salem Town Hall, 15 South Main Street

North Congregational Church

Central Congregational Church


Old New Salem Academy,
~29 South Main Street
The first Quabbin overlook is situated behind the fire department at 33 South Main Street. There is a trail here leading to the overlook, but as it was all covered in snow, I had to simply follow the path most trodden, and where the mess of footprints and dog paw prints went, I went too, and it led me to the overlook, thankfully. There is an extremely beautiful view of the Quabbin Reservoir from here.

Returning to my car, I decided to head to the other overlook, which was quite nearby, along Daniel Shays Highway between North Main Street and Moosehorn Road.










Unfortunately, I realized when I came in that I might be stuck in the snow here again, and indeed I was. Here, there was no hope of flagging people down to help me out, but thankfully my cellphone had signal here, so I called 911, but they did not have anyone available at the desk, apparently, and I was forced to get a tow truck to get me out, and that cost me 60 bucks. It took the truck to drag me out using its winch all the way out to the main road for me to finally get unstuck. I think I have burnt out my tires enough for today.

Finally unstuck, the sun was already setting as I headed to Belchertown for dinner. Along the way, in Pelham, at about 382 Daniel Shays Highway between Shutesbury Route 2 and Prescott Road, there is a beautiful eastward view of Quabbin Reservoir.
Continuing on to my destination of Wong Garden at 147 North Main Street in Belchertown. The interior of the restaurant was nice, and I decided to get the Wong Garden Chef's Special, which is actually meant for 2 people.
Inside the restaurant
My dinner












Wong Garden Chef's Special
The food was alright, not that fantastic, but probably because I chose the wrong dish. I could not finish it either, so I had more leftovers to bring home.

With that I was done for the day. After being stuck in the snow twice today, I have decided that I will not sightsee in this area as long as there is snow on the ground.

1 comment:

  1. I was enthralled by your journey in the snow. I have been researching where my long lost Aunt was buried in 1960, and found her in the Old Graveyard at New Boston Cemetery. I live in California so your journey helped me feel the terrain she was buried. It's a sad story but so glad I found her. Thanks for your story. It helped put it in perspective. BGR

    ReplyDelete