Sunday, February 12, 2012

February 12th 2012: Continuing the Tour of Newton

Today was freezing cold, but that did not stop me from continuing my sightseeing in Newton. I first went to the City Hall area, which has the Free Library, the Salvatore A. Balsamo Millenium Park and Bullough Pond.

Newton Free Library
Newton City Hall
Newton War Memorial at the City Hall



Salvatore A. Balsamo Millenium Park
Chess Board outside
City Hall Pond








Bullough Pond





View of City Hall from Bullough Pond
From here, I visited several other places before heading to the Charles River area near Watertown.
United Methodist Church
Oxford House, 391 Walnut Street
Hyde Community Center
Cabot Elementary School











Newton Cultural Center


New Art Center
Nonantum Office Park, 330 Nevada Street


Coletti Magni Memorial Park,
Watertown Street and Bridge Street
Evangelical Baptist Church



Heading to the Charles River on California Street and Bridge Street, there were beautiful views of the river from the bridge joining Newton to Watertown.

On the Watertown side of the bridge, there is a set of interesting old mill buildings called the Aetna Mills on the corner of Bridge Street and Pleasant Street.
Heading back into Newton, I went to Forte Memorial Park, which has nice views of the river as well.
Charles River
Forte Park


I headed back to Watertown again, this time to How Park on Pleasant Street and Bacon Street, a playground area which did not have good views at all, although there were views from a boardwalk on the other side of Pleasant Street.
Next, I headed to the Watertown Dam area on Pleasant Street between Brook Street and Conant Road. There is a pedestrian bridge in this area from which there are great views of the river. Pictures of the dam, bridge and river follow.



The Pedestrian Bridge









From here, it was back to more sightseeing in Newton. Pictures of the places I visited before I headed for lunch follow. Some places of note include the Newton Country Day School of the Sacred Heart, and the Newton campus of Boston College.
Newton Corner Worship Center,
187 Church Street
Old Newton Corner Methodist Episcopal Church,
515 Centre Street
Newton Presbyterian Church


Eliot Church of Newton
Grace Episcopal Church

Mount Alvernia High School
Carroll Center for the Blind




Newton Country Day School of the Sacred Heart





Boston College Newton Campus


Lunch today was at Aji Fine Japanese Cuisine and Sushi Bar in town. The decor was pretty nice, both outside and in, so next up for judgement was the food.
As always at Japanese restaurants, I decided to go for the special rolls, choosing the Spicy Crispy Mango Tuna Maki and the Princess Maki. Both were really delicious, although they were not filling enough. However, I decided to save up stomach space for dinner, so I chose not to order any more.
Spicy Crispy Mango Tuna Maki
Princess Maki










After lunch, I continued my sightseeing in town before heading for my first hike of the day.
West Newton Armory, 1137 Washington Street
First Unitarian Society

Newton District Court
Second Church


Captain John Ryan Memorial Park,
Washington Street and Cherry Street
Warren House, 1600 Washington Street
Temple Shalom of Newton



St. Bernard's Church
Lincoln Park Baptist Church



Parish of the Messiah
United Parish of Auburndale

Auburndale Community Library
Corpus Christi Church


Lasell College

Fountain in front of Auburndale Library,
Ash street and Melrose Street
Congregation Beth El-Atereth Israel
Newton Montessori School

Temple Emanuel
Scandinavian Living Center

Franklin Elementary School
My first hike was at Norumbega Park, the parking found at the end of Woodbine Street. The path I took is highlighted below in pink.
From the parking area, I headed left to the sunken garden, which was nothing much to look at. At the boundary with the Boston Marriott Newton, I turned right to head past the North Knoll to the shore of the Charles River.
Turning left, I headed to the gazebo area to take in more views of the Charles River.
The Gazebo



I then headed across the Marriott parking lot to head to the other side of the park with the log bench overlook.
From here, I headed to the open field to head back to my car.
From here, I headed to the nearby Charles River Canoe and Kayak Newton Boathouse, where one can rent canoes/kayaks to traverse the river, to see more views of the Charles River.










The last place I went to was the Dolan Pond Conservation Area, found at the junction of Cumberland Road and Stratford Road. The route I took is shown below in pink.

From the parking area, I headed right first down Cumberland Path to get to Dolan Pond.

Dolan Pond

Backtracking a little, I headed to Bana Pond, but did not see much of interest there, so I headed back to the other side of the boardwalk to see Quinn Pond, which wasn't impressive either. 

The boardwalk

Quinn Pond


Overall, a small area not worth coming back to.

With that, I decided to end my day with dinner at the Coconut Cafe. This is a tiny Thai restaurant on Beacon Street in Newton that seemed to have good reviews, so I had to go check it out. Deciding to get something different, I got the vegetable soup, and the Crispy Pad Thai Bangkok Style noodles. Both were delicious, and I must say it was the best Pad Thai I ever had. I'm definitely coming back again in future.

Vegetable Soup

Crispy Pad Thai Bangkok Style



















No comments:

Post a Comment