Thursday, April 24, 2014

April 24th 2014: Dinner at Nadim's Mediterranean Restaurant and Grill, East Longmeadow

After work today, I decided head out west to have dinner at Nadim's Mediterranean Restaurant and Grill in the town of East Longmeadow. Before that, I headed to the Opacum Woods in Sturbridge. The last time I was here, I failed to notice the old stone shelter used by native Americans to avoid storms, so I decided to try to find it this time around. The path I took this time is shown below in pink.
The brochure said that it was near the western intersection of the blue trail and the yellow trail, but it was nowhere to be found in that area.

In fact, I had already given up and started walking back when I found it, located closer to the intersection of the blue and green trail next to the bend in the blue trail before it goes to meet the yellow trail.

At least I did not waste my time here.

My next hike was at Tantiusques in town, the path I took here shown below in pink.
There is an old mineshaft here, closed to the public.

I also tried to get to Leadmine Pond, but right at the end, I realized I was coming onto private property right by the shore, so I decided to give up.

Leaving Sturbridge, I passed by the reconstructed First Church of Monson  in Monson
on the way to the Laughing Brook Wildlife Sanctuary in Hampden. The path I took here is shown below in pink.
There are okay views of the small pond here.
On the way to dinner, I also passed by a cannon at the VFW Post 9397 at 190 Main Street in town.
Dinner itself was located within a shopping mall, but boy was I amazed at the decor, considering that this is a pretty small town.

I was to be even more amazed at the food I would get. The Mediterranean Onion Soup was pretty much like French Onion Soup, but pretty good all the same.
The Beef in a Blanket (sambosik, ground beef, onions and parsley, handfolded and fried in homemade dough) appetizer was pretty well presented, the beef being quite tasty as well.
The best dish of the night was yet to come though. The Scallops (large scallops pan seared with cauliflower, in a creamy garlic sauce and served with Nadim's rice (beef, almonds, cinnamon)) were delicious in their own sauce. I was apprehensive about the cinnamon in the rice, but it turned out to make it really flavorful. Excellent, simple excellent.
I was not done yet. The waitress came over with her plate of desserts to choose from,
and I decided to go with the Rice Pudding, which came presented on a fried pita chip, the best rice pudding I have had to date,
and the Baklava, of which there were 3 different ones.
I had to take the baklava home though, as I was way too full by then.

I'm glad I came all the way out here to try this place. A definite recommend if you happen to be in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment