Saturday, April 5, 2014

April 5th 2014: Showing My Friends Around Boston

My friends from NYC came to visit, so I took them on a tour of Boston. After parking below the Boston Common, I took them to see the Common itself, the Massachusetts State House, the Public Garden, which were unfortunately devoid of flowers and the pond drained of water, Copley Square, and inside the Boston Public Library before finally heading to Cafeteria Boston for some breakfast. I had been here once before, and decided to try the Smoked Salmon Platter (smoked Scottish salmon,served with toast, boiled eggs, beets, olives, capers and creme fraiche),

while my friends decided to share the Butternut Squash Pizza (cranberry, goat cheese, sage, mascarpone, creme fraiche, Arugula).
My friends enjoyed both dishes, as did I, although we kept some space in our tummies for more to come.We headed past the First Church of Christ, Scientist Mother Church to the Mary Baker Eddy Library, and while my friends visited the Mapparium, I walked around a little inside the library.
My friends enjoyed their experience inside the globe with its acoustics, and it was on to the Prudential Center, where we tried the free tea samples from Teavana, which were really good.
Our next destination was the Top of the Hub, where we had freshly made cookies as always, and the beautiful views of Boston below.
My friends wanted to try some New England Clam Chowder, so we headed to Atlantic Fish Company nearby. I never expected this place to be so upscale inside.
This made me already like the food we were about to order, for which my friends got the New England Clam Chowder,

while I got the Sea Bass Chowder (bacon, corn, poblano).
Both were pretty good, although the sea bass was a little more fishy and salty, but still good enough for me, although my friends still preferred theirs.

From here, we headed through Chinatown on our way to the Long Wharf area, where we checked out the seals relaxing at the New England Aquarium.

I decided to show them the Frost Ice Bar as well, although I had to pay peak hour rates to get it.

The Great Hall of Faneuil Hall was actually open today, so I decided to check it out. The park ranger was actually in the middle of a tour, and we sat in for a brief listen.
The Haymarket Farmer's Market was ongoing today as well. I never knew vegetables and fruits could go for so cheap, less than a dollar each even.
From here, we ventured into the North End, heading into the Old North Church area to see chocolate making the old way at Captain Jackson's Colonial Chocolate Shop.
We sat in one of the old pews in the church itself as well.

From here, we headed to the Massachusetts General Hospital to visit the Ether Dome and the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary before heading back to the North End to have dinner at Lucca Restaurant. This place is decent in size and pretty upscale for an Italian restaurant in the North End.

For food, we got the Torta (Duck Confit baked in a pastry shell, caramelized onions, goat cheese, spinach),

the Orecchiette (baked with fontina cheese, sweet Italian sausage, broccoli rabe, San Marzano tomatoes, truffle oil)

and the Salmone (Roasted salmon, caraway, veal pastrami, sweet potatoes, Russian kale, pumpernickel croutons, cherry pepper aioli).

The duck confit was really good, as was the pasta, while the sauce and the sweet potatoes did it for the salmon. Great presentation and ambience. One of the better restaurants here for sure.


From here, it was on to the Finale in Boston to cap off a day of fun with dessert. Of course, we got the Dessert Sampler, which came with
whoopie pies, peanut butter pie, Manjari Mousse, creme brulee, vanilla cheesecake, Gelati and sorbet, chocolate symphony, Boston cream, and a apple cranberry tart.

Excellent as always, although we had to wait a little for a friend of ours to arrive before finishing everything else.

I have to say, we really covered a lot today. Looking forward to more in Cambridge tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment